CUPERTINO, Calif. -- September 11, 1996 -- Symantec Corporation (Nasdaq:SYMC) announced today the first Visual Rapid Application Development (RAD) tool for visual Java development named Visual Café. Symantec took the extensive top-selling toolset of Symantec Café and made it easier to use to expand Java-based development beyond the C/C++ audience to the users of Visual Basic and Delphi. Now all types of developers will be able to quickly and easily learn Java as they make their internet applications and web pages come alive.
The secret to Visual Café is its RAD Visual tools such as the Visual GUI builder, the Component Library and Interaction Wizard. These features allow the developer to graphically build application components while Visual Café generates the Java code. In addition, Symantec has made it easy to add interactivity and animation to internet applications without sacrificing the powerful tools needed for complex applications.
"With the successful adoption of our Symantec Café product, our customers requested visual RAD programming and now Symantec can deliver with Visual Café," said Mansour Safai, general manager of Symantec’s Internet Tools division. "By providing the first RAD tool for Java development, we hope to target all levels of Java developers with this product."
- RAD Visual Tools - Visual Café contains the first and only RAD visual tools designed exclusively for the Java programming language. The entire edit/compile/debug cycle is replaced by the new RAD cycle. The goal is to provide a visual development approach for maximum productivity, while not sacrificing a professional toolset. These tools increase productivity and eliminates tedious coding. For example, the Visual GUI Builder allows the addition of interactions to the components using drag and drop without writing any code.
Other tools include:
PRICING AND AVAILABILITY
- An extensive library of pre-built Java components that users can use to quickly generate a Java app using drag and drop (this will be available in the second preview release)
- Integration Wizard which allows users to easily specify interactions between visual elements using drag and drop.
- A full-featured project management system to help users manage forms, controls and components in addition to standard Java files.
- Powerful, integrated graphical debugger lets users quickly debug apps at the source level while supporting expression watch, ValueTips, data browsing and multi-threaded debugging.
- Object-oriented development tools make application development fast such as the three-pane class editor to individually browse and edit methods and data. The hierarchy editor displays the hierarchical structure of Java classes and allows drag-and-drop manipulation.
- A comprehensive source editor with full color Java syntax and keyword highlighting to simplify development.
- High-performance native compiler functions up to 15 times faster than the standard Java compiler so turnaround is virtually instantaneous.
- Integrated Just-In-Time compiler speeding up Java execution by up to 45 times.
Visual Café Preview Release 1 for Windows is now available free for download to anyone on the Symantec Café website (http://cafe.symantec.com). Visual Café Preview Release 1 for PowerMacintosh will be available shortly. The final products will be available in the Fall for an estimated retail price (ERP) of $199.95. Visual Café runs on Windows 95 and Windows NT and PowerMacintosh. The Component Library and Layout Manager support will be available shortly in the second preview release. In the Fall, registered Symantec Café users will be able to buy Visual Café direct from Symantec at (800) 441-7234 for $69.00 for Café Windows customers and $99.00 for Café Macintosh, the price difference from Café to Visual Café. Java is a programming language developed by Sun Microsystems for developing cross-platform applications across the public Internet and corporate intranets.
About Symantec Corporation
Symantec Corporation develops, markets, and supports a complete line of application and system software products designed to enhance individual and workgroup productivity as well as manage networked computing environments. Platforms supported include IBM personal computers and compatibles, Apple Macintosh computers as well as all major network operating systems. Founded in 1982, the company's global operations span North America, Europe and several fast growing markets throughout Asia Pacific and Latin America. Information on the company and its products can be obtained by calling (800) 441-7234 toll free or (541) 334-6054.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's website.
Brand and products referenced herein are the trademark or registered trademark of their respective holders.
Product and Ordering Information:
Symantec Corporation, 10201 Torre Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014 USA
(800) 441-7234 or (541) 334-6054