New York - September 27, 2005 - Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the availability of the newest additions to the Symantec LiveState family of Windows server and desktop management solutions. The Symantec LiveState Recovery Suite 6.0, available for both servers and desktops/laptops, combines the speed and reliability of disk-based, bare metal system recovery with unprecedented technologies for performing dissimilar hardware restoration, virtual conversion and lights-out operations. This suite provides rapid and complete Windows system recovery to complement the latest version of Symantec's industry-recognized continuous data protection solution, Symantec Backup Exec 10d, which is being announced in conjunction with this release (see related press release, issued today).
"This release elevates LiveState Recovery's capabilities to a level that matches the enterprise performance, simplicity and reliability needs of our customers," said Don Kleinschnitz, vice president, infrastructure management solutions, Symantec Corporation. "In this release we have combined the industry's first volume-based hardware independent restoration technology with virtual tools and remote, lights-out technology to create a significant advancement in Windows system and disaster recovery."
Clyde Companies is the parent of leading heavy construction firm W. W. Clyde & Co., aggregate producers Geneva Rock Products and Gorge Rock, construction products retailer Sunroc, and Beehive Insurance. A Symantec customer for five years, Clyde Companies uses LiveState Recovery for centralized systems recovery across its 30 offices in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and Wyoming.
"If our mission-critical systems are not up and running, our company isn't making money. With LiveState Recovery 6.0, we can reliably recover entire systems in the event of a disaster and quickly provision new servers to minimize downtime. Working together with Symantec Backup Exec, LiveState Recovery provides us with a complete data and systems recovery solution," said Jeffrey Griener, director of IT, Clyde Companies Inc. "Though Clyde Companies has grown significantly over the past few years, our IT budget has not. LiveState Recovery 6.0 gives us the ability to recover our servers across disparate hardware platforms, eliminating the need to ensure identical hardware is available in the event of a disaster and helping us maximize our IT investments."
New product options and features include the following:
- LiveState Recovery's Restore Anyware Option allows IT administrators to recover any Windows server or desktop to any other Windows server or desktop, independent of hardware configuration. This eliminates the need and cost of having to ensure identical hardware is available in the event of a disaster. This simple process is reliable and fast and can give administrators an easy means to recover, migrate or move Windows servers and desktops. The option also includes virtual conversion tools to increase the flexibility and manageability of LiveState Recovery by seamlessly converting recovery points between real and VMware compatible virtual environments and vice versa.
- The LiveState Recovery LightsOut Restore Option elevates the remote recovery of servers to a new level. Using integrated pcAnywhere technology and industry lights-out standards, LiveState Recovery can restore unattended servers (including blade servers) from remote locations and devices.
- LiveState Recovery Manager 6.0 now integrates with Symantec Backup Exec. IT administrators can create Backup Exec jobs in LiveState Recovery Manager to protect system recovery points and move them to tape for storage off site in a safe and secure location.
- Network bandwidth throttling, Windows domain controller support, sending SNMP traps and an enhanced Symantec Recovery Disk are additional new features that provide IT administrators with unparalleled freedom to restore their systems quickly and reliably.
- LiveState Recovery solutions are integrated with LiveState 6.0 applications and platforms, advancing Symantec's strategy to provide customers with an integrated Windows server and desktop management environment that includes provisioning and configuration management, patch management, asset and software usage management, remote control and disaster recovery.
"The new family of LiveState Recovery solutions offers unprecedented speed and reliability for system recovery, thus ensuring that organizations can maintain a high level of information availability for critical IT infrastructures and reduce the costs of potential downtime," said Dieter Giesbrecht, senior vice president and general manager of Application and Infrastructure Management, Symantec Corporation. "This in turn enhances an organization's information integrity."
This release replaces LiveState Recovery 3.0 and aligns with the current version numbering for other LiveState applications. The following product components are available for purchase either in a server or desktop suite or can be purchased individually and added as needed:
- Symantec LiveState Recovery Advanced Server 6.0
- Symantec LiveState Recovery Standard Server 6.0
- Symantec LiveState Recovery Desktop 6.0
- Symantec LiveState Recovery Restore Anyware Option
- Symantec LiveState Recovery LightsOut Restore Option
- Symantec LiveState Recovery Manager 6.0
"Improving server recovery remains a high priority with most companies, and rapid system recovery is just as important as data protection," said Carolyn DiCenzo, Research Vice-President, Gartner Inc. "Recovery plans must include a way to quickly and easily restore operating systems, applications and configuration information for critical servers such as email and database servers. In order to significantly reduce disaster recovery times, enterprises should evaluate disk-based, bare metal restoration solutions that support newer technologies such as recovery to dissimilar hardware and virtual environments. These new approaches greatly expand the range of recovery options available to IT organizations and service providers during emergency situations, further reducing risk and potential loss of revenue and customer satisfaction due to downtime."
Pricing and Availability
Estimated pricing for Symantec LiveState Recovery Advanced Server Suite 6.0 is $1,695.00 and includes LiveState Recovery Advanced Server, Restore Anyware Option, LightsOut Restore Option, LiveState Recovery Manager and pcAnywhere for LiveState. Each of the LiveState Recovery solutions can be purchased separately and there are also solutions for Windows desktops. All product components are scheduled to be available in late September through Symantec's worldwide network of distributors and resellers. In addition, Symantec offers consulting, education and support services for LiveState Recovery products to aid customers in protecting their critical Windows systems. For additional product information call (800) 745-6054 or visit http://sea.symantec.com
. To obtain licensing information or to locate a reseller, visit http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/license
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com
NOTE TO EDITORS:
If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/
on Symantec's Web site. Information specific to this announcement is available at http://www.backupexec.com/presskit/
. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.