CUPERTINO, Calif. – Jan. 29, 2007 – Symantec Corp. (NASDAQ: SYMC) today announced Symantec Enterprise Vault 7.0, the market-leading intelligent content archival solution that stores e-mail and collaborative content cost-effectively, manages it according to retention and compliance requirements, and discovers it to support e-discovery and knowledge management. “The massive growth in electronic content has become a financial and legal challenge for all organizations,” said Francis deSouza, vice president of the Information Foundation Group, Symantec Corp. “Managing more than 8 million mailboxes for nearly 5,000 customers worldwide, Symantec Enterprise Vault reduces IT and legal costs and information risk, while scaling to hundreds of thousands of users and billions of archived objects.”
According to analyst firm Enterprise Strategy Group (ESG), organizations will archive 7,000 petabytes of e-mail over the next four years, significantly challenging IT to manage and secure these vital corporate assets. In addition, ESG states that approximately 77 percent of companies responding to electronic discovery requests have had to produce e-mail. With amendments to the United States Federal Rules of Civil Procedure on Dec. 1, 2006, and similar standards and regulations in Europe and Asia, IT professionals are being asked to implement systems to consistently manage electronic information.
“Whether it is for compliance, electronic discovery, or IT efficiencies, customers derive measurable benefits by archiving e-mail and other content,” said Brian Babineau, analyst with the Enterprise Strategy Group. “Enterprise Vault 7.0 enables customers to exponetially increase these opportunities with automated and user-based classification, enabling the consistent establishment and enforcement of retention periods, a key feature for compliance and electronic discovery deployments. The expansion of support for content management solutions demonstrates Enterprise Vault’s flexibility and scalability as customers look to consolidate the solutions used to manage records across multiple content types.”
Because not all information is created equal, organizations need to manage and retain it based on its value. In fact, a recent survey by ESG cited 63 percent of organizations require the ability to set different retention policies based on content or source. While certain content needs to be maintained for years, such as orders and contracts, other data such as personal e-mail and newsletters can be eliminated more quickly. Effective information management requires classification of data into relevant categories and enforcement of policies for those categories. Symantec Enterprise Vault 7.0 offers new intelligent classification capabilities, which allow for preservation and disposition of content based on its business value, including:
- Automated Classification Engine – Reduces archive size and search times by categorizing and retaining e-mail based on 50 pre-defined or an unlimited nubmer of customizable rules types.
- User Classification Engine – Ensures a consistent and defensible records retention program by classifying all e-mail as each message is created or read by the user directly in Microsoft Office Outlook.
- Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Integration – Leverages deployed ECM solutions to define retention management, while storing, searching, and securing the content in Symantec Enterprise Vault. Support delivered for EMC Documentum, IBM DB2 Content Manager, Open Text LegalKey, Open Text LiveLink, Oracle Stellent Universal Records Manager, and CA MDY FileSurf, on top of existing support for Microsoft SharePoint and CA MDY.
Best-in-Class Microsoft Exchange 2007 Integration
With new releases of nearly all Microsoft collaboration and productivity products in 2007, Symantec Enterprise Vault 7.0 continues to lead the market in leveraging new Microsoft technologies, including:
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Support – Provides reduced mailbox sizes and elimination of the need for PST files and quotas, and facilitates faster migration to Microsoft Exchange 2007.
- First Archive to Support Microsoft Windows Desktop Search (WDS) – Improves user productivity by enabling rapid search of files, archived e-mail and live e-mail from a common, familiar search tool.
- First Archive to Support Microsoft Windows Rights Management Services (RMS) – Ensures security and discoverability by indexing and searching RMS encrypted content.
- First Archive to Natively Capture Microsoft Live Communication Server – Archives all corporate IM traffic without routing through Exchange, reducing server load and risk of data loss.
As customers gain more experience with archiving solutions and the criticality of these solutions increases, IT organizations are demanding manageability from archives similar to what they get from other infrastructure applications. Symantec Enterprise Vault 7.0 allows enterprises to centrally manage archiving deployments:
- Secure, Roles-based Administration – Delegates common tasks to first-line administrators while preserving security by controlling what each administrator can do all on the same infrastructure.
- Granular Provisioning – Enforces different archiving shortcutting and retention policies for users with varying requirements (e.g., heavy users, executive users, mobile users or regulated employees).
- Advanced Reporting and Monitoring – Reduces the cost of management through automated, Web-based, customizable diagnostics and dashboards for tracking the health and usage of the archive.
Symantec Enterprise Vault is available through Symantec’s worldwide network of value-added authorized resellers, distributors and systems integrators. Organizations can be connected with Symantec’s resellers and distributors in their areas by visiting the Symantec Solution Provider locator at http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com.
Symantec Enterprise Vault is also a key part of Symantec Information Foundation 2007, a new security and archiving suite with a single SKU and price. The suite includes Symantec’s market-leading gateway security, groupware security and archiving solutions. In addition to being an integrated suite, Symantec Information Foundation 2007 enables consistent data-loss prevention and lower messaging total cost of ownership.
Symantec is a global leader in infrastructure software, enabling businesses and consumers to have confidence in a connected world. The company helps customers protect their infrastructure, information, and interactions by delivering software and services that address risks to security, availability, compliance, and performance. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in 40 countries. More information is available at .
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.