CUPERTINO, Calif. – Feb. 6, 2007 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced that its upcoming all-in-one consumer security service, Norton 360, has secured more than 100,000 registered beta testers worldwide after just two months in public beta. Norton 360 brings together Symantec’s leading PC security and tuneup technologies with essential transaction security protection, automated backup capabilities and embedded support. The highly anticipated solution helps protect consumers from today’s evolving Internet threats, including online scams and identity theft. In addition, Norton 360 safeguards valuable documents, photos and music stored on users’ computers through its automated local and online backup features.
“We are pleased to see the enthusiasm among computer users about Norton 360,” said Enrique Salem, group president, Consumer Business Unit, Symantec Corp. “Reaching more than 100,000 registered beta testers is a significant milestone for us as it not only shows the interest among the public towards a comprehensive protection solution like Norton 360, but it also allows us to draw from the valuable feedback these beta testers provide in order to further enhance the product.”
“Today's consumers use their computers to send e-mail, surf the web, store their photos and movies and buy goods and services on-line. With more at stake than every before, they need products to keep their PCs tuned-up, backed-up and secure,” said Andrew Jaquith, senior analyst, Yankee Group. "Symantec's Norton 360 addresses all of these needs. The strong response to the beta program shows that it is filling a real need with consumers.”
Beta testers have shared their experiences using Norton 360 and have contributed their positive feedback:
- “I’ve used your product for years now, and this is the best one yet. I love it. I feel confident about doing my banking and checking my credit card statements online.” – Ernie
- “[Norton 360] makes sense to me…monitoring key features to help remove the burden from inexperienced users from having to figure protection out. It does this more or less in the background, not really interfering with the user’s activity.” – Thomas
- “I found Norton 360 to be a very good combination of Internet security features and PC maintenance. A very good product for the novice to intermediate user. With this product, there’s no excuse for a[n] unprotected or poorly maintained system." – Gary
- “Norton 360 is a great product and does exactly what its name says in covering the security of your computer. It’s nice to have a product that’s user friendly and so efficient.” – Nathan
- “Norton 360 was the most complete hassle free system security software that I’ve used in a long time. Most applications seem very burdensome and hard to use while Norton 360 had the feel of a small application while providing big benefits.” – Amos
Users can download the free public beta of Norton 360 for Windows XP and Vista at http://www.norton.com/norton360beta/. The final version of Norton 360 is scheduled to be available by the end of March 2007 through the Symantec online store at www.symantecstore.com, as well as at various retail locations and online retailers.
Symantec is a global leader in infrastructure software, enabling businesses and consumers to have confidence in a connected world. The company helps customers protect their infrastructure, information, and interactions by delivering software and services that address risks to security, availability, compliance, and performance. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.