CUPERTINO, Calif. – March 26, 2007 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced it will offer Symantec Mobile Security Suite 5.0, a solution designed to provide customers with the same security and data protection capabilities on their Windows Mobile smartphones and PDAs as what has become standard for laptops and other computing devices. Symantec Mobile Security Suite 5.0 will include antivirus, firewall, anti-SMS spam, and data encryption technologies that are easy to deploy, manage and maintain. This kind of layered security can not only mitigate the unique security risks of mobile devices, but can also enable companies to more easily and cost-effectively comply with internal security policies and external regulations.
“The global workforce is becoming increasingly mobile – using a wide range of mobile devices to access personal applications and corporate data over insecure public WiFi and home networks,” said Sandra Palumbo, senior analyst at the Yankee Group. “The IT departments tasked with managing and protecting these devices are having a tough time wading through the wide spectrum of individual security products to determine what is needed and what is not. The vendor that can unify these technologies, ensure they interoperate and provide a high level of support and manageability will likely find a significant market with corporate IT buyers.”
Yankee Group research indicates that the number of enterprise mobile data users will increase to over 269 million by 2010, representing a 19.8 percent Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR). With the increasing number of users connecting their mobile devices to company networks, it is no surprise that malware writers and criminals are looking to take advantage of this unprotected path to sensitive data. Research from Symantec’s Global Intelligence Network shows that the number of mobile viruses has almost doubled every six months from 2004 to 2006.
Symantec Mobile Security Suite 5.0 will provide several integrated security technologies for mobile devices, including:
- Antivirus – Immediately detects mobile threats and prevents users from accessing an infected file. Administrators can schedule regular virus scans and updates via Symantec LiveUpdate;
- Firewall – Controls both inbound and outbound network traffic on the mobile device;
- Anti-SMS Spam – Automatically filters and deletes spam messages, or places them in a separate spam folder;
- Loss mitigation technologies – Encrypts data on the device and memory cards in case it is lost or stolen. A file activity log helps administrators determine if confidential files have been accessed, and a data wipe tool erases all data after a maximum number of consecutive failed login attempts.
- Phone Feature Control – Allows administrators to enable and disable certain device features, such as Bluetooth, WiFi, and device synching. This limits security vulnerabilities and potential attack vectors by only providing access to those features required for business;
- Symantec Mobile VPN – This optional add-on enables enterprise customers to connect to corporate networks through secure IPSec VPN tunnels in order to protect sensitive data and interactions;
- Network Access Control – When used with the Symantec Mobile VPN, this technology enables IT administrators to ensure only secure, policy-compliant devices can access the corporate network;
- Tamper Protection – Verifies that the device’s image and security applications have not been tampered with or altered prior to allowing network access;
- Enterprise Management – Provides a management console for IT administrators with customizable security policies and reporting.
“Many Symantec customers - IT departments and consumers alike - understand that mobile phones represent the new computing platform,” said Paul Miller, managing director of Symantec’s mobile security group. “Now that the dual-mode Windows Mobile devices permit users to communicate over both cellular and wireless local networks, more and more users are relying on their phones for their personal and business transactions. These ‘pro-sumers’ are looking to security leaders like Symantec to help them protect their information and interactions no matter where they reside – whether that’s on phones, laptops, or PCs.”
The Symantec Mobile Security Suite 5.0 is an integrated solution that addresses the expanding ecosystem of both known and unknown security threats. It also provides added protection for the common problem of lost phones.
Symantec is scheduled to release Norton Mobile Security, a consumer version of its enterprise Mobile Security Suite in the same May 2007 timeframe. Norton Mobile Security will specifically feature firewall, antivirus, anti-SMS spam, password protection and data encryption technologies to address consumers’ needs for security and protection of their personal, financial, and other confidential information held on smartphones.
Symantec Mobile Security Suite 5.0 and Symantec Mobile VPN 2.6, important components of Symantec’s Endpoint Security product family and the company’s Security 2.0 strategy, are scheduled to be released in North America in May 2007. These products are expected to be available through Symantec’s direct sales force, enterprise VAR channel, system integrators and select OEM partners.
Symantec is a global leader in infrastructure software, enabling businesses and consumers to have confidence in a connected world. The company helps customers protect their infrastructure, information, and interactions by delivering software and services that address risks to security, availability, compliance, and performance. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.