CUPERTINO, Calif. – Feb. 19, 2008 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced Symantec Solutions for Windows, an enterprise-ready portfolio of products and services enabling small, mid-sized, and enterprise businesses to more effectively secure and manage their Windows environments. The portfolio of Symantec Solutions for Windows includes new versions of Symantec’s flagship backup and recovery products, new online services for small and medium-sized businesses and enhanced integration that makes managing and securing information and applications in Windows environments easier.
“With Symantec Solutions for Windows, we are providing a single portfolio of integrated solutions that addresses the most pressing management, security, and availability requirements for organizations running Windows today,” said John Magee, vice president of product marketing, Symantec. “Symantec’s world-class software and services can help organizations of all sizes get the most out of their investment in Windows systems and servers.”
With 25 years of industry leadership, Symantec delivers confidence in a Windows environment by providing small, mid-sized and enterprise businesses with comprehensive, integrated solutions to help them more effectively secure and manage the information within that environment. With Symantec Solutions for Windows, businesses can now leverage trusted technologies from the industry leader in security, backup and recovery and systems management solutions.
Symantec continues to enhance the Symantec Solutions for Windows portfolio to support all versions of Windows, including the new Windows Server 2008. More than twenty Symantec products will be supported on the new operating system, including Backup Exec, Backup Exec System Recovery, NetBackup, Symantec Protection Network’s Online Storage for Backup Exec, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Storage Foundation for Windows, Altiris Notification Server, Altiris Server Management Suite, and Altiris Management Suite. The new version of Backup Exec, also announced today, has passed Microsoft’s technical bar for best practices with security, availability, reliability and Windows fundamentals, and earned Microsoft’s Windows Server 2008 software certification.
“We are pleased that Symantec has taken the initiative to ensure that many of its critical solutions for Windows products will be compatible with Windows Server 2008,” said Bill Laing, general manager, Windows Server division at Microsoft. “By doing so, Symantec is helping ease management challenges while strengthening security and protecting business continuity.”
“Windows is the most pervasive business platform in the market today. For many organizations, reliance on this technology has become so great that it is now a crucial means of supporting business objectives,” said Lauren Whitehouse, analyst for Enterprise Strategy Group. “Companies’ reliance on the Windows platform to run critical business applications makes it vital to secure, manage and ensure its availability. Symantec’s broad range of solutions for Windows products represents a proven, cost-effective, reliable portfolio for meeting these challenges.”
The ongoing integration among Symantec Solutions for Windows products introduces unique benefits for businesses. For example:
- Software and Online Services: Backup Exec is now integrated with the new Symantec Online Storage available through Symantec Protection Network, providing businesses with a cost-effective, hosted solution for offsite storage and disaster recovery.
- Security and Data Protection: Symantec’s ThreatCon global security alerting system has been integrated with Backup Exec and with Backup Exec System Recovery to enable backups to be triggered automatically by heightened security threat levels.
- Backup and Archiving: Backup Exec and NetBackup are integrated with Symantec Enterprise Vault to provide efficient backup and granular recovery for critical archives.
- Endpoint Management, Security, and Data Protection: Symantec Endpoint Protection and Backup Exec System Recovery have been integrated with the Altiris Client Management platform to enable system administrators to manage and monitor backup and recovery and endpoint security operations from within the Altiris management console, making it easier and more cost-effective for organizations to configure, protect, and control Windows-based laptops, desktops, and servers.
- Backup and Recovery: Backup Exec and Backup Exec System Recovery work together to enable advanced disaster recovery protection for Windows Server 2008 and other critical platforms.
“We work with 13 partners in 11 countries around the world and we must protect an ever-increasing volume of vital customer information that is distributed across many locations,” said Nick Joseph, network administrator, Orion Registrar, Inc., a Denver-based quality and environmental registrar. “Having a well-integrated suite of critical technologies for Windows from a single vendor will help us reduce the complexity, downtime and costs of managing our infrastructure but it can also help support and drive our strategic company initiatives and growth more proactively.”
Symantec Solutions for Windows are backed by support services and a network of experienced resellers and service partners to help businesses easily acquire, deploy and manage their Windows systems and processes.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help businesses and consumers secure and manage their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.