CUPERTINO, Calif. – July 15, 2008 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC), makers of Norton security software, today announced the availability of the public betas of Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton AntiVirus 2009, designed to set a new industry standard for speed and performance. The betas of the award-winning product line are available for download from http://www.symantec.com/norton-beta/.
The Norton 2009 products have been designed with a “zero-impact” performance goal, supported by more than 300 improvements that span nearly every aspect of the product, from the scanning engines to the user interface. The beta versions are on track to deliver on several key metrics including a one-minute installation, the industry’s fastest protection updates and less than half the memory usage of the next leading competitor.
“Based on customer feedback, we viewed performance as the key feature for this release. The Norton 2009 products are designed to give users the award-winning security they count on, while ensuring their PCs run fast,” said Rowan Trollope, Senior Vice President of Consumer Products. “Our goal is to create the fastest security product in the world, hands down.”
A key innovation supporting the zero-impact performance goal — and an industry first — is a new technology called Norton Insight that reduces the need to scan files in the first place. Leveraging data from millions of Norton Community members, Norton Insight allows the Norton security products to avoid scanning any files that are commonly found on most computers and statistically determined to be trusted.
Norton 2009 will have features designed for advanced computer users and gamers:
- Silent mode — suspends alerts and updates automatically to avoid interrupting or slowing activities such as games, movies or presentations.
- Simplified user interface — provides easier access to detailed configuration settings and the ability to track detection and performance status.
In addition to the performance features, Norton 2009 will deliver industry-leading security functionality:
- Norton Protection System — works in concert to stop threats before they impact you. This multilayered protection system includes Browser Protection against complex Web-based attacks, real-time SONAR protection, Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS), antirootkit, antivirus and antispyware technologies.
- Norton Identity Safe — keeps your identity safer than ever when you buy, bank, browse and game online*
- Home Networking feature — allows users to easily view and manage devices on their home network*
- AntiBot features — prevents bots from taking control of your PC
*Features available in Norton Internet Security 2009 only
Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton AntiVirus 2009 betas are available for free public download at: http://www.symantec.com/norton-beta/. English, German and Japanese versions of both product betas are scheduled to become available this week.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help businesses and consumers secure and manage their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
 Based on Symantec’s internal testing of the Norton 2009 beta in comparison to currently available 2008 competitor products.