The latest versions of popular Web browsers Internet Explorer 7, Mozilla Firefox 3 and Opera 9 last month between them achieved more than 50 percent total market penetration worldwide. That means more than half of all Internet users now can benefit from the anti-fraud protection provided by VeriSign Extended Validation (EV) Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Certificates.
According to the latest Web browser market share report from Net Applications, IE7 commands 47.1 percent of the browser market, while Firefox 3 claims 5.7 percent, representing a total share of 52.8 percent. EV SSL penetration has soared more than 500 percent from July 2007 through July 2008, according to data gathered by Netcraft.
When an Internet user accessing the Web through one of these browsers visits a site protected by VeriSign EV SSL Certificates, the address bar on the browser turns green. The green address bar offers immediate reassurance that the visitor has reached a site whose authenticity has been verified by VeriSign. Nearly 6,000 Web sites already rely on VeriSign EV SSL Certificates (including VeriSign®, GeoTrust®, and thawte® brand Certificates) to thwart the efforts of identity thieves who use impostor Web pages to steal passwords, credit card numbers, Social Security Numbers and other vital personal data.
"The schemes cooked up by identity thieves to steal personal information just keep growing more sophisticated, a troubling trend that makes advanced protection like Extended Validation an essential part of any Web site's security portfolio," said Tim Callan, vice president of SSL product marketing at VeriSign. "We are pleased to see the browsers supporting EV SSL have reached this crucial tipping point. As more users upgrade to these latest browser versions, and as even more businesses deploy VeriSign EV SSL Certificates, the number of consumers who find the welcome sight of the green address bar will only continue to multiply."
By deploying VeriSign EV SSL Certificates, online banks, retailers and other businesses help build trust and confidence among consumers by offering them immediate and visible assurance that they are dealing with the authentic e-commerce site that they intend to visit and not an impostor site. In addition to the green address bar, the latest browsers also display other visual cues, including a lock icon next to the address and a new field that contains the name of the organization that owns the site as well as the security provider that issued the certificate, such as VeriSign. To learn more about VeriSign EV SSL, visit http://www.verisign.com/EV-SSL.
VeriSign, Inc. (
Statements in this announcement other than historical data and information constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. These statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause VeriSign's actual results to differ materially from those stated or implied by such forward-looking statements. The potential risks and uncertainties include, among others, the uncertainty of future revenue and profitability and potential fluctuations in quarterly operating results due to such factors as the inability of VeriSign to successfully develop and market new products and services and customer acceptance of any new products or services, including VeriSign EV SSL solutions; the possibility that VeriSign's announced new services may not result in additional customers, profits or revenues; and increased competition and pricing pressures. More information about potential factors that could affect the company's business and financial results is included in VeriSign's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including in the company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2007 and quarterly reports on Form 10-Q. VeriSign undertakes no obligation to update any of the forward-looking statements after the date of this press release.
©2008 VeriSign, Inc. All rights reserved. VeriSign, the VeriSign logo, the checkmark circle, and other trademarks, service marks, and designs are registered or unregistered trademarks of VeriSign, Inc., and its subsidiaries in the United States and in foreign countries. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.