CUPERTINO, Calif. – Dec. 30, 2008 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the availability of the public beta of Norton 360 version 3.0, the industry’s leading all-in-one security suite. The public beta includes Norton Safe Web, a new Web site rating service, and enhancements to tuneup and backup. The latest version of Norton 360 will also include the security and performance improvements that were launched in Norton Internet Security 2009.
Since its launch in February 2007, Norton 360 has set the bar for providing comprehensive, multi-layered security in a truly set-it-and-forget-it package. The public beta features improvements in key performance innovations including a one-minute installation and the industry’s fastest and most frequent protection updates.
As consumers shop online for convenience and value, Norton Safe Web’s new Shopping Safety ratings can now help them judge whether vendors are reputable before making a purchase by indicating whether sites are legitimate businesses, comply with good business practices, keep transactions secure and protect consumer privacy. Norton Safe Web also offers accurate, up-to-date ratings that enable users to easily differentiate safe Web sites from malicious ones. Currently, Norton Safe Web is already providing site rating information for over 13 million search results per day to more than 100,000 registered beta testers.
“Our goal for this version of Norton 360 is to deliver comprehensive protection with zero impact on performance, so consumers can be productive online, backup their valuable data, and keep their computer running at peak performance,” said Rowan Trollope, senior vice president, Consumer Business Unit, Symantec. “With Norton Safe Web, we are extending that protection to make shopping and other everyday online activities safer.”
Norton 360 version 3.0 will provide the latest security innovations:
- Norton Insight — smart scanning reduces scan time so you can work and play without interruption
- Norton Pulse Updates — provides continuous protection and non-stop defense against new threats
- Norton Identity Safe — securely manages your online identities and stores usernames and passwords for a more convenient online shopping, banking and browsing experience
- Network Monitoring — allows users to easily view and manage Norton security for devices on their home network
In addition, Norton 360 version 3.0 will include new backup and tuneup enhancements to further optimize performance:
- Backup Tutorial — provides an easy-to-follow guide for how to help keep your important content secure
- Multiple Backup Sets — gives you the flexibility to backup files to multiple destinations such as your local hard drive, CD/DVD or online
- Norton Backup Drive — enables you to manage backup through the familiar Windows® Explorer interface
- Diagnostic Report — delivers a comprehensive system snapshot and recommends appropriate fixes
- Smart Startup Manager — turns off unnecessary programs to speed up startup time
- Monthly Report — summarizes activities and provides tips about new or advanced features
The Norton 360 version 3.0 beta including Norton Safe Web is available for free public download at www.norton.com/360v3beta, in English only. For Norton Internet Security 2009 users, a browser plug-in version of the Norton Safe Web beta is available for download at http://safeweb.norton.com/beta/download. In addition, Internet users can access the Norton Safe Web free online community site at http://safeweb.norton.com.
About Norton from Symantec
Symantec’s Norton products protect consumers from traditional threats with antivirus, anti-spyware and phishing protection, as well as bots, drive-by downloads and identity theft-- while also being light on system resources. The company also provides services such as online backup and PC tuneup, and is a trusted source for family online safety.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.