LAS VEGAS - Symantec Vision - April 13, 2010 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced four new solution suites designed to secure and manage IT assets. The risk to confidential information continues to grow as IT executives are facing an increasing number of threats to their information from both internal and external sources. Today’s attacks are proving to be more sophisticated, well-organized and covert in nature than attacks seen in years past, thus requiring a new approach to security.
The recent Hydraq attacks highlight the targeted nature of today’s threats, designed specifically to steal confidential information. According to the Symantec Internet Security Threat Report, which will be released later this month, 60 percent of identities exposed in 2009 were compromised by hacking attacks. In addition, according to the Symantec 2010 State of Enterprise Security Report, a broad study of large organizations, 100 percent of respondents experienced some type of cyber loss in 2009.
Symantec’s security intelligence provides a unique vantage point, offering unparalleled insight and understanding into what’s happening globally in the world of IT security. Cybercriminals are targeting four key areas of weakness that are putting business environments at risk: poorly enforced IT policies, poorly protected information, poorly managed systems and poorly protected infrastructure.
As the pace of information growth accelerates, IT infrastructures expand and new computing platforms are adopted, security professionals have more to manage than ever before. Businesses now require a focus on security continuity that allows them to continuously respond to internal and external changes. Moving forward, businesses need to develop a security strategy that is risk-based and policy driven, information-centric, and operationalized across a well managed infrastructure.
To address these customer pain points, Symantec has developed the four security suites listed below.
Symantec’s Solution – Release Highlights
- Develop and Enforce IT Policies – Control Compliance Suite 10.0 will deliver greater visibility into an organization’s IT and compliance risks, to ultimately provide better intelligence at lower costs.
- Protect Information – Data Loss Prevention Suite 10.5 addresses key concerns about preventing data loss through social media and protecting information in private clouds.
- Manage Systems – Altiris IT Management Suite 7.0 offers complete IT management that enhances effectiveness through faster deployments and increased security, reduces costs by closing technology gaps, and improves manageability amidst the increasing information and infrastructure sprawl.
- Protect Infrastructure – Symantec Protection Suites will offer in-depth protection tailored to specific areas of the IT infrastructure and provide businesses with unified information security management across endpoints, servers and gateways.
Quotes and Facts
- “Most businesses suffer confidential information loss because they lack IT policies and standards that can be strongly tested and enforced to help protect information from being lost or stolen,” said Tim Stanley, CISO, Continental Airlines. “Organizations need to focus on classifying the business value of information, which will enable them to implement operational risk-based standards and educate employees on their responsibility in keeping data protected from security threats.”
- “When it comes to preventing cyber attacks and protecting intellectual property theft, the game has completely changed,” said Francis deSouza, senior vice president, Enterprise Security Group, Symantec. “Organizations now require security that moves at the pace of their business and enables them to reduce overall IT security risk, not just stops the latest malware attack.”
- “As a member of the Agility Alliance, Symantec provides HP Enterprise Services customers with industry-leading capabilities and innovative approaches to the challenges clients are facing in today’s environment,” said Jim Alsop, vice president, Global Information Security, HP Enterprise Services. “The joint solutions HP and Symantec offer help clients secure and manage their information.”
- Seventy-five percent of enterprises have experienced a cyber attack in the past 12 months – 2010 State of Enterprise Security Report.
- The average time between the release of exploit code for a Web browser vulnerability and a vendor patch release is 13 days – Symantec Security Response.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Forward-looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality, or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
TECHNORATI TAGS: Symantec, IT Governance Risk and Compliance, Data Loss Prevention, Systems Management, Endpoint Security, Email Security, Antispam, Web Security, Backup, Data Breaches