MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – June 29, 2010 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced rapid adoption of Backup Exec 2010 and NetBackup 7 by organizations and partners worldwide, largely due to their need for solutions that reduce data storage growth through deduplication and archiving. According to a recent Symantec survey, 81 percent of respondents stated that data/storage growth was their biggest data protection challenge.
Through integrated deduplication at the client and media server, Backup Exec 2010 and NetBackup 7 help mid-sized and enterprise organizations take control of information growth as this technology eliminates redundant data and reuses existing storage resources. Symantec’s deduplication technology also allows customers to improve their broader infrastructure by reducing network utilization by up to 99 percent. Symantec extends storage savings by delivering the benefits of deduplication to the archive environment with Enterprise Vault or with the new Backup Exec Archive Option, allowing administrators to easily consolidate data and maximize disk as archive storage for management and resource savings. In addition, NetBackup and Backup Exec deliver comprehensive virtual machine protection that improves backup performance and further drives down operational costs.
“Symantec developed NetBackup 7 and Backup Exec 2010 based on feedback provided by our end users and partners so that we could deliver innovative solutions for our 1.5 million information management customers. The positive accolades are a testament to the power of deduplication and archiving when it comes to reducing storage costs.” – Deepak Mohan, sr. vice president, Information Management Group, Symantec.
- Since Backup Exec 2010 became generally available on February 1, Symantec has tracked more than 150,000 licensed installations at customer sites worldwide. This adoption rate is attributed to organizations’ need for a simplified data protection solution that integrates deduplication and archiving technology and provides improved virtual machine protection
- Backup Exec 2010 won the Best of Tech•Ed 2010 award in the backup and recovery category by Penton Media’s Windows IT Pro® and SQL Server Magazine at the Microsoft Tech•Ed 2010 North America Conference on June 9, 2010
- NetBackup 7 has been adopted faster than previous versions. More than 500 customers and partners participated in the early adopter program and Symantec has tracked more than 10,000 downloads to date
- According to a Symantec survey of 247 NetBackup 7 early adopters, 93 percent would recommend NetBackup to other customers
- Since January 2009, Enterprise Vault added 5,000 new archiving and e-discovery customers, totaling 15,000 customers globally
- Symantec rated "Strong Positive" in Gartner's 2009 MarketScope for E-Discovery Software Product Vendors¹
- "Vitality Consulting understands the benefits from the new deduplication and virtualization capabilities in Symantec Backup Exec 2010. As a small business provider, we restore backup images onto our infrastructure for a large number of clients and Backup Exec’s new deduplication functionality means that we only keep the data once. As a result, our storage infrastructure and associated utility costs shrink, which enables us to be very competitive financially."
- George Ilko, Chief Technology Officer, Vitality Consulting Services Ltd.
- "As virtual machines took on more business-critical roles in our two data centers and the number of virtual servers grew, backup and recovery management became more challenging. Upgrading to NetBackup 7 provided integrated client and virtual machine protection allowing us to have faster, easier and less expensive VMware data protection. In addition, NetBackup 7 gives us the flexibility to choose between client or media server deduplication. Calculations lead us to believe that we could use client side deduplication for as much as 60 percent of our data, resulting in faster backups, significantly less network usage, and less storage consumption."
- Peter Jakobs, Manager, Data Protection and Storage, Elsag Datamat
- "CMT participated in Symantec’s early adopter program for NetBackup 7, which unites critical data protection capabilities such as deduplication, advanced virtual machine backup, snapshots, and replication—all through a single console. This unique integration will give our customers far greater control of their information infrastructure, which translates into reduced total cost of ownership in terms of improved storage efficiency, greater infrastructure utilization, and faster recovery times."
- Kurt Klein, president and CEO, CMT
- "We have received great interest in NetBackup 7 from our customers, and we are excited about how comprehensive it is in resolving backup issues. NetBackup 7’s simplified deployment, flexible restore options, overall efficiency and the ability to reduce storage capacity requirements for backups are just a few reasons we recommend this solution to our customers."
- Jonna Murnick, director of marketing, Consonus
- "We decided to switch to Symantec from our previous archiving and e-discovery vendor since Symantec Enterprise Vault allowed us to conduct faster searches and reduce Microsoft Exchange data stores."
- Fabio Catassi, Chief Technology Officer, Mediterranean Shipping
About Storage from Symantec
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
¹ Gartner "MarketScope for E-Discovery Software Product Vendors" by D. Logan, W. Andrews, J. Bace. December 21, 2009.