MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – April 4, 2011 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced its strategy to provide organizations of all sizes with a tailored approach to solve their data, system and application recovery challenges to better meet stringent recovery time objectives and keep their business up and running. As part of its broader downtime remediation strategy, Symantec is also delivering new recovery updates and platform support to Symantec System Recovery 2011, formerly Backup Exec System Recovery, for both physical and virtual environments.
Symantec’s downtime remediation strategy includes an optimal mix of solutions to solve customers’ recovery challenges:
- Symantec System Recovery provides complete system recovery in minutes, even to dissimilar hardware, bare metal, remote locations or virtual environments, to minimize business downtime
- Symantec Backup Exec eliminates backup windows and helps customers meet recovery point objectives through granular recovery of physical and virtual environments
- Symantec ApplicationHA enables automated monitoring and recovery for virtual applications running in VMware
“Symantec offers proven technology to help our customers recover data, systems and applications to avoid disruption to their business,” said Amit Walia, vice president of product management, Symantec. “Symantec System Recovery shortens the recovery time window with new features such as the ability to transform a USB device into a recovery disk and additional flexibility to the customizable recovery disk wizard.”
Symantec research indicates that disasters can have a significant impact on a business and organizations of all sizes are vulnerable to downtime. Symantec’s 2011 SMB Disaster Preparedness Survey found that the majority of small businesses surveyed are still unprepared to deal with a disaster and 54 percent of SMB customer respondents reported they have switched SMB vendors due to unreliable computing systems. Similarly, Symantec’s 2010 Disaster Recovery Survey, which surveyed enterprise organizations, found that the time required to recover from an outage is twice as long as respondents perceive it to be.
Available now, Symantec System Recovery 2011 adds the following new features:
- All-in-one backup and recovery USB device: With new wizard functionality, customers can easily transform a USB device into a bootable Symantec System Recovery Disk and into a backup storage device, creating an all-in-one backup and recovery USB device to help reduce boot time and speed up the recovery process.
- Enhanced centralized management: Symantec System Recovery Management Solution is a highly scalable solution designed to centrally manage large numbers of clients from a single management server. The Symantec System Recovery Management solution can now be installed to and hosted on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit environments.
- Enhanced customizable recovery disk wizard: Additional flexibility has been added to the customizable recovery disk wizard with the option to select an ISO image as the source for a custom recovery disk. This is especially helpful for larger enterprise organizations that already utilize a customized version of the Symantec System Recovery Disk and would like to use it as the source for future modifications to their recovery environment.
- Platform support: Symantec System Recovery includes updated support for the latest Microsoft Windows, Linux, VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Citrix XenServer operating systems and applications
- “We had a lot of success testing the beta of Symantec System Recovery and know it will get our systems back up and running quickly in the event of a disaster or outage.” – Timothy Reider, system administrator, Mothers Nutritional Center.
- “Symantec System Recovery is an efficient solution that has the ability to quickly recover our systems. I rarely have to interact with the product after it is set, and I can get granular restore in a snap.” – Joseph LaGrosse, director of IT, Pepperweed Consulting.
- “Support for the Microsoft 2010 range of server products coupled with a Management Solution with x64 support ensures I have no problems recommending Symantec System Recovery to anyone looking for an easy to use and manage backup solution either as a primary, production backup solution or as a fast system recovery solution for critical server systems. The P2V and V2P features make this a valuable tool for anyone with a Microsoft or VMware virtualization solution. The ability to restore to dissimilar hardware is genius!” – Mathew Coomber, technical and sales support manager, Elytis.
Connect with Symantec
About Storage from Symantec
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
TECHNORATI TAGS: Symantec, Backup Exec, system recovery, VMware, backup and recovery, small businesses