LAS VEGAS – Symantec Vision – May 3, 2011 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced a new approach to help small and mid-sized organizations protect data through new delivery models including Backup Exec.cloud, Backup Exec appliances, as well as an enhanced version Backup Exec 2010 software. For the first time, a company will be able to leverage the benefits of backup from Symantec as software, as a cloud service, or as an appliance, signaling the end of the complexity and delivering a fast, easy and modern backup infrastructure.
“Customers want choice in how they manage their backup environment, and Symantec is leading the transformation of the backup market with new appliances, cloud and enhanced software for Backup Exec,” said Amit Walia, vice president of product management, Symantec. “The future of backup will be defined by simplicity, flexibility, and allowing companies to deploy a modern infrastructure that best fits their needs.”
Backup Exec 2010 Software Updates
- Improved Virtualization Backup Performance: Available worldwide on May 3, Backup Exec 2010 R3 delivers improved backup and deduplication performance in virtualized environments. The V-Ray technology embedded into the core solution gives customers X-Ray vision to easily see, protect, and recover their virtual machines with the same solution that protects their physical environments. Additionally, Symantec’s Backup Exec Management Plug-in for VMware is now part of the standard agent for VMware providing Backup Exec management through vCenter.
- New Security Layer: Backup Exec 2010 now provides SSL support from the agent to the server, providing an extra layer of security for customers that transmit backup data across the WAN or to a private cloud. The added security features help ensure that backed up data sent over a public Internet connection is secure.
- Improved Archiving for Data Management and Recovery: Archiving complements backup by helping companies identify what to store, what to delete and when to move older data to secondary systems, while ensuring fast discovery and recovery of older data. Symantec continues to streamline the integration between archiving and backup, helping customers to control storage costs and recovery times. Backup Exec 2010 Agent for Enterprise Vault now supports Enterprise Vault 10 beta backup, recovery and migration. Additionally, the Backup Exec Archive Option for Exchange now includes Virtual Vault, allowing users to access archived emails directly from within Outlook.
Backup Exec Cloud Strategy
- Simple, Cloud-Based Backup: Expected to be available later this year, Symantec Backup Exec.cloud will be an ideal solution for small businesses or remote offices that want to offload their IT infrastructure. The hosted backup service will automatically protect the data on Windows desktops and servers with simple, online backup and recovery. Furthermore, customers will benefit from an expanded Symantec.cloud portfolio of SaaS offerings, that provide integrated solutions for security, email management, and data protection.
- Automatic Backups and Easy Restore: Customers will be able to quickly protect their critical data by streaming it over a SSL connection to Symantec’s secure, off-site data centers. Backups can be triggered by file changes or run according to a set schedule, while modified files are protected continuously. Should disaster strike, the service will help businesses stay up and running by restoring critical files to any service-enabled machine with just an internet connection. Employees may also take advantage of individual file restore for every day file retrieval.
- Predictable Pricing: Symantec plans to offer predictable, subscription-based pricing for Backup Exec.cloud.
Backup Exec Appliance Strategy
- Secure, Optimized and Simple: The new Backup Exec appliances, scheduled to be available later this year as part of a phased launch, will provide businesses with purpose-built, secure and easy to manage backups that run Backup Exec software. Symantec will leverage its appliance model success within the enterprise segment to provide a tailored offering that meets the needs of its SMB customers and remote offices for larger organizations.
- Easily Deployed, Consistent Architecture Backup Exec appliances can be managed alongside other Backup Exec software installations. The appliance form factor assures a consistent technology deployed across an organization, allowing administrators to manage their information from a data center, by a channel partner, or from other remote locations for reliable on and off-site recovery protection.
- “IDC sees Purpose Built Backup Appliances (PBBA) as becoming a preferred deployment option for many companies and as a significant area for growth,” said Robert Amatruda, Research Director, Data Protection and Recovery at IDC. “Symantec’s strategy to deliver Backup Exec as a purpose built backup appliance for SMBs makes a lot of sense, and as the market share leader in backup this new strategy has the potential to shift the backup landscape for many years.”
- “Software-as-a-Service and online backup are important emerging options for small businesses and are poised for increased adoption,” said Lauren Whitehouse, Senior Analysts at Enterprise Strategy Group. “Backup Exec.cloud promises to deliver simple, reliable backup that requires no on site hardware, and both small businesses and large organizations with remote offices could benefit.”
- “The latest version of Backup Exec 2010 has significantly improved install times, increased the speed of our backups, and has become more efficient in recovering data,” said Patrick Manness, network analyst, Paul’s Hauling Ltd. “Overall, I am impressed with the improvements and it has made my life easier.”
- “Backup Exec is comprehensive in its feature set and easy to implement,” said Adam Miller, infrastructure services architect, Virginia Institute of Marine Science. “As we move to a virtualized IT environment, I look forward to using Backup Exec that can see into both our virtual and physical servers for greater ease of use.”
- “As a Symantec SMB Specialized partner, we understand that our SMB customers need cost-effective products and services that protect their critical information. We have relied on Backup Exec for years to protect our customers' data in both physical and virtual environments,” said Dave Irvine, President and CEO, Irvine Consulting Services. “There is no one-sized-fits-all approach, and Symantec is the only major backup vendor that delivers the flexibility and choice for our customers' backup delivery models including software, appliance, or cloud-based solution - all with deep support for virtual environments.”
- Vision 2011 Press Center
- Backup Exec Product Family
- Symantec's Backup Exec Management Plug-in for VMware
- Enterprise Vault
- Enterprise Vault 10 Beta
- Enterprise Vault 10 Box Shot
- SlideShare Presentation: Information Management Group Vision 2011 News
- Bio: Deepak Mohan
- Bio: Brian Dye
- Bio: Sean Regan
- Bio: Amit Walia
Connect with Symantec
- Follow Symantec on Twitter
- Follow NetBackup on Twitter
- Follow Enterprise Vault on Twitter
- Follow BackupExec on Twitter
- Join Symantec on Facebook
- Subscribe to Symantec News RSS Feed
- View Symantec’s SlideShare Channel
- Visit Symantec Connect Business Community
- Visit Symantec’s Backup and Archiving Community
- Visit Symantec’s Partners Community Blog
About Storage from Symantec
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Forward-looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality, or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
TECHNORATI TAGS: Symantec, Backup Exec, backup appliance, cloud, backup and recovery, deduplication, SMB, small- and mid-sized business, partners