LAS VEGAS – VMworld 2011 – Aug. 31, 2011 – Today at VMworld®, 2011, Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) and VMware (NYSE: VMW) announced an expansion of their strategic partnership to define and architect Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS) solutions with the goal to provide secure, pre-integrated and well-managed enterprise-quality virtual desktop computing environments for enterprises and IT service providers. This initiative will leverage VMware virtual desktop and cloud infrastructure solutions including VMware View™, VMware vShield™, VMware vCloud® Director 1.5 and VMware vSphere® 5 with Symantec Endpoint Protection and the Altiris Client Management Suite to deliver a secure, manageable and cost-effective DaaS solution.
End-user computing environments continue to become more diverse and mobile, with virtual desktop deployments becoming a critical component to delivering IT services to any user, on any device and in any location. Symantec and VMware’s new Desktop-as-a-Service initiative will provide enterprises and IT service providers with a cost-effective way of leveraging on-premise Virtual Desktop Infrastructures (VDI) with the efficiencies and scalability of cloud computing. Combining VMware’s leading technology in virtualization and cloud infrastructure and management with Symantec’s expertise in security and endpoint management, the partnership will create a highly resilient and secure solution that reduces IT spending without compromising regulatory and other security concerns.
As the industry leaders in security, management and virtualization, the two companies are well positioned to deliver hosted virtual desktops that are secure, easy to manage and compliant with enterprise customers’ governance and regulatory requirements. The DaaS solution will provide:
- Service Driven Cloud Infrastructure: Building on existing vCloud and vSphere infrastructures from VMware, the DaaS solution will provide the agility, efficiency and choice to quickly provision, manage and track all aspects of a multi-tenant, virtual desktop environment.
- Security Protection from the Cloud to the Endpoint: Delivered with Symantec Endpoint Protection and VMware vShield, DaaS delivered virtual desktops are protected from internal and external threats emanating from email, web and storage vectors.
- End-to-End Configuration and Control of Applications: The day-to-day demands of managing virtual desktops in addition to the applications that reside within them are made easier through centralized control using Symantec Client Management Suite.
- “Our partnership with VMware demonstrates the commitment by both organizations to jointly innovate with the goal of delivering a differentiated, secure and easy to manage hosted virtual desktop experience,” said Chirantan “CJ” Desai, senior vice president of the Endpoint and Mobility Group at Symantec.
- "VMware is committed to enabling the delivery of IT as secure, cloud-based services to end users,” said Chris Young, vice president and general manager, End-User Computing, VMware. “Through our expanded partnership with Symantec, we can deliver Desktop-as-a-Service solutions for enterprise organizations and service providers that offer the security, management and compliance customers require – all baked directly into a virtual desktop infrastructure and accessible to end users regardless of device or location."
Please visit the Symantec booth #339 at VMworld 2011 to view a demo of the DaaS offering.
Connect with Symantec
VMware (NYSE: VMW) delivers virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable IT organizations to energize businesses of all sizes. With the industry leading virtualization platform – VMware vSphere® – customers rely on VMware to reduce capital and operating expenses, improve agility, ensure business continuity, strengthen security and go green. With 2010 revenues of $2.9 billion, more than 250,000 customers and 25,000 partners, VMware is the leader in virtualization, which consistently ranks as a top priority among CIOs. VMware is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.