MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – Oct. 19, 2011 – Today at VMworld 2011 Europe, Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) announced enhancements to Symantec FileStore N8300, the latest version of its clustered, network attached storage appliance, designed to help customers build virtual environments and cloud storage, manage large volumes of data and control the costs of associated storage. Certified for VMware environments, FileStore N8300 is integrated with VMware vCenter Server. FileStore N8300 enables organizations to optimize storage costs associated with virtual machine sprawl and rapidly provision servers and virtual desktops through efficient cloning and de-duplication of virtual machine images.
Read more detailed blog post:
Complete VMware Storage Platform
As organizations scale their virtual environments, they find themselves looking for ways to optimize their ever increasing storage requirements and maintain performance associated with retaining hundreds or even thousands of virtual machine images on traditional storage. FileStore N8300 enables organizations to fully benefit from their virtualization investments with a clustered NAS solution that scales servers and storage independently, efficiently provisions virtual machines with nearly instant, space-optimized cloning, and delivers advanced storage optimization capabilities for VMware environments. With FileStore N8300, organizations can manage from within VMware vCenter Server or with a VMware View plug-in. With this release, organizations can now:
- Optimize storage consumption in a VMware environment with space-efficient cloning and deduplication of VMDKs
- Provision thousands of servers and virtual desktops in minutes with nearly instant, space-optimized cloning of VMDKs, via VMware vCenter Server or VMware View plug-in
- Increase VMware performance and remove controller bottlenecks with scale-out storage technology
- Overcome boot-storm challenges with page caching capabilities.
Manage Data Growth
Organizations struggle to manage an ever increasing amount of data, systems and applications due to the amount of information created each year, which The Economist estimates is growing at 60 percent each year. IDC reports similar growth by predicting that the ‘digital universe’ will grow from 1.8 zettabytes in 2011, to more than 7ZB by 2015. Unfortunately for most organizations, unstructured data is an increasing amount of information they must try to manage.
FileStore N8300 helps organizations meet the demands of digital content growth and optimize their storage investments with primary storage de-duplication that is based on Veritas Storage Foundation File System technology . Organizations can control their storage savings with a flexible deduplication solution that allows them to set the schedule and the granularity of deduplication detection, and run deduplication on full or incremental data sets.
The ever-growing unstructured data also presents storage, management and accessibility challenges for organizations. FileStore N8300 natively integrates with other Symantec products to provide a holistic solution for effective storage and management of data. FileStore N8300 provides automatic storage tiering with Veritas Storage Foundation SmartTier feature, malware protection with Symantec Anti-Virus and faster backup through integration with Symantec NetBackup. In addition, FileStore and Symantec Enterprise Vault provide an ideal storage infrastructure for end-to-end archiving.
Scalable, Highly Available, File-based Storage Services
Symantec FileStore helps organizations meet the demands for a range of workloads from file serving to emerging web-based services. FileStore can be configured to survive multiple node failures, ensuring the high availability of data and continued uptime of data operations with redistribution of workloads across clusters. FileStore N8300 is modularly scalable and can scale up to 16 active-active nodes, up to 256 TB of file system capacity, and supports 1.4 PB of total storage on the backend. The fully redundant connections between clustered nodes and back-end storage arrays help to avoid performance bottlenecks. The system may grow, shrink, or be reconfigured, all online and without downtime or interruption to business operations and built-in replication ensures the non-disruptive operations in case of a disaster.
- “Organizations are faced with the difficult tasks of managing data growth and controlling storage costs as they more widely adopt virtualization,” said Yogesh Agrawal, vice president of Symantec’s FileStore Product Group. “With Symantec FileStore N8300, we are making it easier for customers to store and manage large volumes of data, and provide advanced storage optimization capabilities to cost-effectively store virtual machine images and address the performance challenges as they scale their virtual environments.”
- “We’re delighted that Symantec FileStore is now a VMware-certified NAS storage device,” said Parag Patel, vice president, Global Strategic Alliances. “As more organizations deliver desktops as a managed service with VMware virtualization and cloud solutions, FileStore is an excellent storage target, because it utilizes deduplication technology for VMDK files.”
Pricing and Availability
FileStore N8300 5.7 is now available in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Italy and the Middle East. Pricing starts at $50,000.
- SlideShare: Symantec FileStore N8300
- Data Sheet: Symantec FileStore N8300
- White Paper: Cloud Availability
- 2011 Symantec Virtualization and Evolution to the Cloud Survey
- Infographic: Is it Time to Move Business-Critical Apps to the Cloud?
- 2010 Symantec Disaster Recovery Study
- 2010 State of the Data Center Report
Connect with Symantec
About Storage from Symantec
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Forward-looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality, or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
TECHNORATI TAGS: Symantec, Veritas, Storage Foundation, FileStore, VirtualStore, Veritas Cluster Server, cloud, cloud storage, cloud computing, virtualization, business continuity, storage management, enterprise storage software, storage and availability management, NAS appliance, storage appliance