MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – Sept. 5, 2012 – Norton by Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) today released the latest versions of its award-winning core security products, Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, and Norton AntiVirus, delivering on Norton’s commitment to extend protection to consumers on all of their devices and in all they do online. With five patented layers of protection, stronger social networking defenses, anti-scam capabilities, and improved cloud-enabled features, the latest Norton products set new benchmarks for protection and performance. In addition, the latest releases are Windows® 8 compatible and engineered to make Windows 8 safer and faster compared with running Windows Defender on Windows 8.
According to third-party testing, when paired with Norton, Windows 8 is 50 percent faster1 and 20 percent safer than with Windows Defender2. In addition, testing showed that Norton was able to correctly detect and block all the threats that Windows Defender failed to recognize.3
“According to this year’s Norton Cybercrime Report4, one in 10 social network users said they’d fallen victim to a scam or fake link on social network platforms. Today, consumers are living nearly every aspect of their lives online and often putting personal information at risk,” said Janice Chaffin, Group President, Consumer Business Unit, Symantec. “With our latest releases, Norton responds to this and other consumer vulnerabilities with stronger social media and scam protection to ensure consumers are safe in the multi-device, Wi-Fi-enabled world.”
The latest Norton products are engineered to be safer, optimized for speed and performance, and simpler to use. In third-party testing, the new products ranked first in both protection5 and performance6 among a field of competitors. New features and improvements include:
In addition to industry-leading core security technologies, the new Norton releases feature protection enhancements including:
- Social Networking Protection – New defenses protect consumers from attacks and scams on social networks, such as likejacking, malicious messages, posts and notices on social networks
- Scam Insight – Anti-scam capabilities warn users of potentially risky sites that are new or do not have an established reputation within the Norton user community, enabling users to keep personal information such as bank account or login data secure
- Enhanced Network Defenses – To keep consumers safe from constantly evolving web-based attacks, the latest releases feature stronger networking defenses including a new Intelligent Firewall and broader uses of Insight information, which now tracks IP address reputation in addition to file, URL and domain reputation
With consumers becoming more on-the-go with devices such as tablets and ultrabooks, faster startup, shutdown and improved battery power are increasingly important. The latest Norton products feature:
- Faster Startup & Shutdown – Completely re-engineered to minimize startup and shutdown time
- Maximized Battery Power – Reduced power consumption, resulting in extended battery life and faster response from system sleep and hibernate states
- More Efficient Support for Digital Media Files – Designed to ensure digital media files – such as photos, music and videos – are safe from attack, without impacting performance
In addition to being safer and faster, Norton products are also simpler to use, offering enhancements including:
- Touch Screen-Friendly – User interface is engineered for faster performance and optimized for touch screens
- Version-Less – With all product updates now downloaded in the background and installed automatically, consumers can rest assured they are safe from the latest threats without manually checking for updates
- Reboot-Less – Product updates no longer require reboot, so consumers can receive the most up-to-date protection without being interrupted
Pricing & Availability
The latest versions of Norton 360, Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus are now available for purchase in the U.S. through various retailers and the Norton online store at www.norton.com. The MSRP for Norton 360 is $89.99, which provides one year of protection for up to three PCs. The MSRP for Norton Internet Security is $79.99 USD, which provides one year of protection for up to three PCs. The MSRP for Norton AntiVirus is $49.99 USD, which provides one year of protection for one PC.
In addition, Norton 360 Multi-Device (previously Norton 360 Everywhere) and Norton One will be updated with the features in the latest release of Norton 360. Norton customers with a valid product subscription are eligible to receive the latest product updates via the subscription service model. For more information, visit the Norton Update center at http://updatecenter.norton.com.
Norton protects the Stuff that matters to consumers, across all aspects of their digital lives. Norton provides a range of security solutions including technologies for PCs and mobile devices, live tech support services and online backup. Like Norton on Facebook.
Symantec protects the world’s information, and is the global leader in security, backup and availability solutions. Our innovative products and services protect people and information in any environment – from the smallest mobile device, to the enterprise data center, to cloud-based systems. Our industry-leading expertise in protecting data, identities and interactions gives our customers confidence in a connected world. More information is available at www.symantec.com or by connecting with Symantec at: go.symantec.com/socialmedia.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec Logo, and Norton are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Forward-looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
1 “Real World Performance Test,” PassMark, August 2012. Norton Internet Security vs. Defender as default setting in Windows 8. Faster claim based off on-demand security software scan time.
2 “Real World Testing Report,” AV-Test, July 2012. Norton Internet Security vs. Defender as default setting in Windows 8
3 “Real World Testing Report,” AV-Test, July 2012. Norton Internet Security vs. Defender as default setting in Windows 8
4 Norton Cybercrime Report, Symantec Corporation, September 2012
5 “Real World Protection and Remediation Testing Report,” AV-Test, August 2012
6 “2013 Consumer Security Products Performance Benchmarks,” PassMark, August 2012