Symantec opens public beta to get early input on changes coming to its consumer security products
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – July 9, 2014
– Today Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) released a sneak peek at upcoming offerings Norton Security and Norton Security with Backup. As cybercriminals become more devious and the attacks they launch become more sophisticated, Symantec is overhauling its consumer product portfolio to offer faster performance and stronger, defense-in-depth protection for people and their information as they use Android, Windows, Mac and iOS devices. The pre-release software1
is now available for free download from the Norton beta website2
“Too often consumers believe they must trade speed for security and therefore, they put their information at unnecessary risk,” said Fran Rosch, executive vice president, Norton Business Unit, Symantec. “Our research shows one-in-two people don’t take basic precautions like using passwords or security software on their mobile devices.3 The changes we’re making to Norton are designed to help keep your information safe without sacrificing the performance of your smartphone, tablet or laptop.”
To deliver on its vision and empower consumers to boldly go wherever they choose online with the confidence that their information is safe, Symantec is making significant changes and improvements in a few key areas:
- Security is moving to the cloud, resulting in reduced on-disk definition size and real-time access to the Symantec Global Intelligence Network
- The company’s multi-layered approach to security is upgraded at every level to better protect against threats that go beyond the scope of basic antivirus
- New look and feel make it easy for users to access product features and manage protection across devices including laptops, tablets and smartphones
- Options to securely back up precious photos, movies and memories on the PC to a user’s choice of location – online or to an external hard drive – offer peace of mind that information is protected if a PC is lost or stolen
Detailed feature, pricing and availability information for the Norton Security offerings will be announced in the fall. Beta testers are encouraged to share feedback in the Norton Public Beta Forum
Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC) is an information protection expert that helps people, businesses and governments seeking the freedom to unlock the opportunities technology brings -- anytime, anywhere. Founded in April 1982, Symantec, a Fortune 500 company, operating one of the largest global data-intelligence networks, has provided leading security, backup and availability solutions for where vital information is stored, accessed and shared. The company's more than 20,000 employees reside in more than 50 countries. Ninety-nine percent of Fortune 500 companies are Symantec customers. In fiscal 2014, it recorded revenue of $6.7 billion. To learn more go to www.symantec.com
or connect with Symantec at: go.symantec.com/socialmedia
NOTE TO U.S. EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality, or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
Norton Security Windows client available for testing now; Norton Security Mac client coming soon
Betas are available in English, French and German
32013 Norton Report