Orient Overseas Container Line (OOCL) is one of the world’s largest international container transportation firms, with 280 offices in 55 countries. Also a leader in shipping technology, OOCL was among the first shipping companies to offer e-commerce capabilities. As a result, the company now manages over 10 terabytes of business-critical data.
To better protect this data, the company is migrating from another vendor’s solution to Veritas NetBackup. “The other solution didn’t fulfill our requirements,” explains Nelson Ho, assistant general manager, OOCL. “We needed a solution that could work well with HP-UX, Solaris, Linux, and also Microsoft Windows platforms. Symantec was the vendor that best fulfilled those requirements.” OOCL also deployed a storage management solution to make storage allocations on the fly while eliminating storage downtime.
A full complement of Veritas products
After a significant search for other solutions, OOCL found that the Symantec Veritas suite of products were the best solution to address their current and future data management and protection needs, including:
- Veritas NetBackup 6.5 - After a significant search for other solutions, OOCL found that the Symantec Veritas suite of products were the best solution to address their current and future data management and protection needs, including:
- Veritas NetBackup Vault – OOCL is replacing its own manual tape tracking system with NetBackup Vault for greater reliability and a significant savings in IT management costs. “Our major objective was to have a really reliable tape management system, and with Veritas NetBackup Vault, we do.” says Ho.
- Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft SQL and Oracle – OOCL selected these Symantec products to free up DBAs for more high-level tasks. According to Ho, these NetBackup agents are better integrated with SQL and Oracle, and also provide superior protection.
- Veritas NetBackup for SAP – The OOCL SAP administrators can easily back up and restore data from the SAPDBA administrator interface using NetBackup for SAP, with no additional training needed.
- Veritas NetBackup for Sybase – The intuitive GUI interface in NetBackup for Sybase lets IT administrators more easily and quickly execute backup and restore operations.
- Veritas NetBackup Bare Metal Restore (BMR) – OOCL uses BMR for migrating data to new servers, which also saves the company significant time and money over manual server reconstructions.
- Veritas Backup Reporter – OOCL now has a more complete picture of its entire storage protection operation. “We want to have a report that will let us know the success and failure of our backups, and let our administrators make sure a backup or restore was successful, and re-run the job if it wasn’t,” Ho says. In addition, Backup Reporter tracks storage trends that will allow OOCL to better plan storage allocations in the future.
OOCL has used Backup Exec for years to protect its Windows-based servers, particularly in its remote offices, and the company is currently upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection to avoid any disruptions from viruses or malware. “The [Symantec] products are very stable,” Ho concludes. “Symantec solutions are excellent for meeting our needs.”
To read the full Orient Overseas Container Line Success Story, click here