The OS Patches (Patch) module checks for the presence of operating system and application patches that strengthen system security. Patch information is stored in Patch templates.
Symantec updates Patch templates with the Symantec ESM policy installer. This ensures that updated Patch templates for supported operating systems and applications are available for policies that are delivered with Security Update releases. Installing this update adds or updates the OS Patches policy and associated template files on the Symantec ESM manager.
This patch update for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager reports operating system and application patches for Windows operating systems. There are a total of 5 updated patch signatures and 5 new patch signatures in 5 templates:
This rapid response policy includes updates to the OS Patches (Patch) module templates that detect new vendor-released patches dated on or before December 1, 2004:
- ie.pw4 (Internet Explorer - Windows NT Workstation)
- ie.ps4 (Internet Explorer - Windows NT Server)
- ie.pw5 (Internet Explorer - Windows 2000 Professional)
- ie.ps5 (Internet Explorer - Windows 2000 Server)
- ie.pwx (Internet Explorer - Windows XP Professional)
The following applications are also supported:
- Windows Server 2003 64-bit Edition
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows 2000 Server
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows NT 4 Server
- Windows NT 4 Workstation
- Red Hat Linux
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- SUSE Linux Standard Server 8
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8
This update also includes rapid response support for the detection of a vulnerability that was disclosed by Microsoft on December 1, 2004.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE)
- Internet Information Services Web server (IIS)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Outlook Express
- Microsoft Visual Studio
MS04-040 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (889293)
This policy is designed for Symantec ESM agents running SU 17 (and later) versions of the OS Patch module. Symantec ESM agents running SU 16 are acceptable but not recommended. Due to a modification in the method used to extract version information, SU 17 or greater is required for Windows NT.
ESM 5.5 & 6.0 users: To automatically install, use the link below or use LiveUpdate.
Download OS Patch Policy: BestPractice_OS_Patch_Updates_20041201.exeObsoleted
Note: For more information regarding this update, download the OS Patch Policy Release Notes.
Last modified on: Thursday, 16-Dec-04 16:22:47
©1995 - 2010 Symantec Corporation