The OS Patches (Patch) module checks for the presence of operating system and application patches that strengthen system security. Patch information is stored in Patch templates.
Symantec updates Patch templates with the Symantec ESM policy installer. This ensures that updated Patch templates for supported operating systems and applications are available for policies that are delivered with Security Update releases. Installing this update adds or updates the OS Patches policy and associated template files on the Symantec ESM manager.
This rapid response patch update for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager reports operating system and application patches for both Windows and UNIX operating systems. There are a total of 189 new patch signatures and 31 updated patch signatures in 14 templates:
This rapid response policy includes updates to the OS Patches (Patch) module templates that detect new vendor-released patches dated on or before August 11, 2005:
- patch.ph1 (HP-UX - 1 new, 21 updated)
- patch.ph2 (HP-UX - 1 new)
- patch.plx (RedHat Linux - 77 new)
- patch.psl (SUSE Linux - 55 new)
- patch.pw5 (Windows 2000 Professional - 4 new)
- patch.ps5 (Windows 2000 Server - 5 new)
- patch.pwx (Windows XP Professional - 12 new)
- patch.p6s (Windows Server 2003 - 9 new)
- patch.p3i (Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems - 9 new)
- ie.pw5 (Internet Explorer for Windows 2000 Professional - 4 new)
- ie.ps5 (Internet Explorer for Windows 2000 Server - 4 new)
- ie.pwx (Internet Explorer for Windows XP Professional - 2 new)
- ie.p6s (Inernet Explorer for Windows Server 2003 - 4 new, 9 updated)
- ie.p3i (Internet Explorer for Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems - 2 new, 1 updated)
The following applications are also supported:
- Windows Server 2003 64-bit Edition
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows 2000 Server
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows NT 4 Server
- Windows NT 4 Workstation
- Red Hat Linux
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- SUSE Linux Standard Server 8
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 and 9
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 for Itanium Processor Family
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE)
- Internet Information Services Web server (IIS)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Outlook Express
- Microsoft Visual Studio
This update also includes rapid response support for the detection of vulnerabilities that were disclosed by Microsoft on August 9, 2005.
MS05-038 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (896727)
MS05-039 Vulnerability in Plug and Play Could Allow Remote Code Execution and Elevation of Privilege (899588)
MS05-040 Vulnerability in Telephony Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution (893756)
MS05-041 Vulnerability in Remote Desktop Protocol Could Allow Denial of Service (899591)
MS05-042 Vulnerabilities in Kerberos Could Allow Denial of Service, Information Disclosure, and Spoofing (899587)
MS05-043 Vulnerability in Print Spooler Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution (896423)
This policy is designed for Symantec ESM agents running SU 20 (and later) versions of the Patch module.
ESM 6.0, 6.1.1, and 6.5 users: To automatically install, use the link below or use LiveUpdate.
Download OS Patch Policy BestPractice_OS_Patch_Updates_20050811.exe Obsoleted
Note: For more information regarding this update, download the OS Patch Policy Release Notes.