The OS Patches (Patch) module checks for the presence of operating system and application patches that strengthen system security. Patch information is stored in Patch templates.
Symantec updates Patch templates with the Symantec ESM policy installer. This ensures that updated Patch templates for supported operating systems and applications are available for policies that are delivered with Security Update releases. Installing this update adds or updates the OS Patches policy and associated template files on the Symantec ESM manager.
This rapid response patch update for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager reports operating system and application patches for both Windows and UNIX operating systems. There are a total of 117 new patch signatures and 40 updated patch signatures in 14 templates:
This rapid response policy includes updates to the OS Patches (Patch) module templates that detect new vendor-released patches dated on or before November 10, 2005:
- patch.ph1 (HP-UX 10.20-11.11 - 11 new)
- patch.plx (RedHat Linux - 82 new)
- patch.ps6 (Solaris 2.6+ - 7 new)
- patch.psl (SUSE Linux - 2 new)
- patch.p3i (WIndows Server 2003 Itanium - 2 new)
- patch.pwx (Windows XP Professional - 4 new, 7 updated)
- patch.pw5 (Windows 2000 Professional - 3 new, 8 updated)
- patch.pw4 (Windows NT Workstation - 1 updated)
- patch.ps5 (Windows 2000 Server - 3 new, 8 updated)
- patch_adv2k.ps5 (Windows 2000 Advanced Server - 1 new, 7 updated)
- patch.ps4 (Windows NT Professional - 1 updated)
- patch.p6s (Windows Server 2003 - 2 new, 4 updated)
- isa2k.ps5 (ISA 2000 Server on Windows 2000 Server - 2 updated)
- isa2k.p6s (ISA 2000 Server on Windows Server 2003 - 2 updated)
The following applications are also supported:
- Windows Server 2003 64-bit Edition
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows 2000 Server
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows NT 4 Server
- Windows NT 4 Workstation
- Red Hat Linux
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- SUSE Linux Standard Server 8
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 and 9
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 for Itanium Processor Family
This update also includes rapid response support for the detection of vulnerabilities that were disclosed by Microsoft on November 8, 2005.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE)
- Internet Information Services Web server (IIS)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Outlook Express
- Microsoft Visual Studio
MS05-053 Vulnerabilities in Graphics Rendering Engine Could Allow Code Execution (896424)
This policy is designed for Symantec ESM agents running SU 20 (and later) versions of the Patch module.
ESM 6.0, 6.1.1, and 6.5 users: To automatically install, use the link below or use LiveUpdate.
Download OS Patch Policy BestPractice_OS_Patch_Updates_20051110.exe Obsoleted
Note: For more information regarding this update, download the OS Patch Policy Release Notes.
Initial Post on: Thursday, 10-Nov-05 16:00:00
Last modified on: Tuesday, 22-Nov-05 00:03:12
©1995 - 2010 Symantec Corporation