The Patches module checks for the presence of operating system and application patches that strengthen system security. Patch information is stored in Patch templates.
Symantec updates Patch templates with the Symantec ESM policy installer. This ensures that updated Patch templates for supported operating systems and applications are available for policies that are delivered with Security Update releases. Installing this update adds or updates the Patches policy and associated template files on the Symantec ESM manager.
This rapid response patch update for Symantec Enterprise Security Manager reports operating system and application patches for both Windows and UNIX operating systems. There are a total of 25 new patch signatures in 6 templates.
This rapid response policy includes updates to the Patches module templates that detect new vendor-released patches dated on or before October 13, 2006:
- patch.p3i (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Itanium-based Systems - 4 new)
- patch.p64 (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions - 3 new)
- patch.p6s (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - 5 new)
- patch.pw5 (Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional - 4 new)
- patch.ps5 (Microsoft Windows 2000 Server – 4 new)
- patch.pwx (Microsoft Windows XP Professional - 5 new)
See the Symantec Enterprise Security Manager Data Sheet for specific version information.
The following applications are also supported:
- Windows Server 2003 64-bit Edition
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows 2000 Server
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows NT 4 Server
- Windows NT 4 Workstation
- Red Hat Linux
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- SUSE Linux Standard Server 8
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 and 9
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 for Itanium Processor Family
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE)
- Internet Information Services Web server (IIS)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Outlook Express
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft Windows Media Player
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services
This update also includes rapid response support for the detection of vulnerabilities that were disclosed by Microsoft on October 13, 2006.
MS06-057 Vulnerability in Windows Explorer Could Allow Remote Execution
MS06-061 Vulnerabilities in Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code Execution
This policy is designed for Symantec ESM agents running SU 24 (and later) versions of the Patch module.
ESM 6.0, 6.1.1, and 6.5 users: To automatically install, use the link below or use LiveUpdate.
Download OS Patch Policy BestPractice_OS_Patch_Updates_20061013.exe Obsoleted
For agents earlier than 6.5, use the LiveUpdate package entitled, Patch Policies - OS Patches for 5.5/ 6.0
For 6.5 agents and later, use the LiveUpdate package entitled, Patch Policies - OS Comprehensive
Note: For more information regarding this update, download the OS Patch Policy Release Notes.
Initial Post on: Friday, 13-Oct-06 11:40:00
Last modified on: Tuesday, 31-Oct-06 11:37:51
©1995 - Symantec Corporation