10/31/07 - Updated threat table and KB number
11/28/07 - Updated solution build information
Symantecís Altiris Deployment Solution is vulnerable to an elevation of privilege attack.
|Altiris Deployment Solution||6.x||SP2||6.8.8400.49|
A directory traversal vulnerability exists in the Altiris Deployment solution. This vulnerability can allow read access to privileged system files.
Symantec engineers have verified and removed this option. An update is now available for download.
Download and installation instructions:
- Go to http://kb.altiris.com
- Search for KB 38304.
- Select KB link and download file.
- After downloading the file, execute and follow the installer instructions to upgrade Deployment Solution.
As part of normal best practices, Symantec strongly recommends:
- Restrict access to administration or management systems to privileged users.
- Restrict remote access, if required, to trusted/authorized systems only.
- Run under the principle of least privilege where possible to limit the impact of exploit by threats.
- Keep all operating systems and applications updated with the latest vendor patches.
- Follow a multi-layered approach to security. Run both firewall and anti-malware applications, at a minimum, to provide multiple points of detection and protection to both inbound and outbound threats.
- Deploy network and host-based intrusion detection systems to monitor network traffic for signs of anomalous or suspicious activity. This may aid in detection of attacks or malicious activity related to exploitation of latent vulnerabilities
SecurityFocus, http://www.securityfocus.com, has assigned a Bugtraq ID(BID) to this issue for inclusion in the SecurityFocus vulnerability data base. The BID assigned is 26266 which can be found at http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/26266.
Symantec would like to thank Manuel Santamarina Suarez, working with the iDefense Vulnerability Contributor Program (http://www.idefense.com), for reporting this issue.
Symantec takes the security and proper functionality of our products very seriously. As founding members of the Organization for Internet Safety (OISafety), Symantec supports and follows the principles of responsible disclosure. Symantec also subscribes to the vulnerability disclosure guidelines outlined by the National Infrastructure Advisory Council (NIAC).
Please contact email@example.com if you feel you have discovered a security issue in a Symantec product. A Symantec Product Security team member will contact you regarding your submission. Symantec strongly recommends using encrypted email for reporting vulnerability information to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Symantec Product Security PGP key can be found at the end of this message.
Symantec has developed a Product Vulnerability Response document outlining the process we follow in addressing suspected vulnerabilities in our products. This document is available below.
Copyright © by Symantec Corp.
Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security Response. Reprinting the whole or part of this alert in any medium other than electronically requires permission from email@example.com.
The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.
Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response, and firstname.lastname@example.org are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in the United States and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property of their respective companies/owners.
Initial Post on: Wednesday, 30-Oct-07 23:15:00
Last modified on: Wednesday, 28-Nov-07 12:57:06