Symantec Security Information Manager Technical News Bulletin
3 July 2013
In this issue:
- New 4.8 MP1 Available
- Now is the time to check your License
- Subscribing and unsubscribing
NOTE: This is an outgoing email address. Do not reply to this email message. If you require assistance with installing, configuring, or troubleshooting a Symantec product, or if you have a question for Customer Service, then visit the Symantec Enterprise Support Web site at the following Internet address:
1. New 4.8 Maintenance Pack (MP)1 Available
Symantec has released Symantec Security Information Manager 4.8 MP1, which includes the following:
The following features are included in the Symantec Security Information Manager 4.8.1 release:
- New platform support
- Performance improvements
- Enhanced DeepSight data feed integration
- Geolocation data enrichment
- Improved maintenance with Product LiveUpdate
The following resolved issues are included in Information Manager version 4.8 MP1:
- Previously, the schedule of a report gets canceled in a specific case if a report is selected for delete and then canceled. The schedule is now retained even if the deletion of the report is canceled.
- Previously, due to a character encoding issue, illegible characters were seen on the Preview page of the reports. This issue is now fixed.
- Previously, no results were retrieved when the event data was filtered on the fields that contained data with integer values. This issue is now fixed.
NOTE: The 4.8 MP1 release of the Information Manager is to be applied on top of existing 4.8.0 installations only.
Apply this Maintenance Pack only to Information Manager appliances running SSIM 4.8.0. Do not apply to systems running Symantec Incident Manager 3.x or Information Manager appliances running previous versions of SSIM.
This Patch 4 release is available for download from the Symantec SymWiselocation:
2. Now is the time to check your license
Please take this opportunity to check the expiration of your license for your Symantec Security Information Manager installation.
In either case, if it is less than 30 days, please call Symantec support to get your license renewed!
Do you have feedback that can help us provide better products or services? If so, then we want to hear from you. Be sure to visit the Symantec forum for Security Information Manager at
4. Subscribing and unsubscribing
Symantec Technical Advisory: Subscribe to SymWISE Email Notification Service
In order to enhance your support experience, Symantec has deployed SymWISE, a new enterprise support knowledgebase. SymWISE (Symantec Web-based Information Sharing Exchange) is your online resource for comprehensive support information for all your Symantec enterprise products and provides greatly improved search capabilities.
SymWISE contains a different email notification subscription service than previously in place. Effective immediately, you are required to subscribe to SymWISE to continue to receive knowledgebase notifications from SymWISE. In addition to email subscriptions, SymWISE also allows you to subscribe to support Web sites via RSS feeds.
How to Subscribe to the SymWISE Email Notification Service
Information in SymWISE is organized into channels, which include:
· Technical Solution (all knowledgebase articles created from support cases)
· How To (product-specific how-to articles)
· Alerts (product-specific articles about critical technical issues and how to mitigate or resolve these issues)
The new subscription service allows you to subscribe to:
· An article (via email)
· A channel (via email or RSS)
· A category within a channel (via email or RSS). For example, the following categories fall under the Technical Solution channel: Known Issues, Best Practices, or Downloads
To subscribe to the new email notification service, you will need a SymAccount:
- See details on how to Create a SymAccount: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&&id=HOWTO31127
- See details on how to Subscribe and Manage your Subscriptions: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&&id=HOWTO31128
Symantec strongly recommends that you at least subscribe to the Alerts channel for your product and visit the Software Alerts page for your Symantec products to ensure you have the most recent critical information.
Symantec Enterprise Support Services
THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
This message contains Symantec Corporation's current view of the topics discussed as of the date of this document. The information contained in this message is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and freedom from infringement. The user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and the use of this document. This document may not be distributed for profit.
Symantec and the Symantec logo are U.S. registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation. Other brands and products are trademarks of their respective holder(s).
(c) Copyright 2010 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved. Materials may not be published in other documents without the express, written permission of Symantec Corporation.