Altiris™ Deployment Solution 6.9 SP3 from Symantec Release Notes
|Article:DOC1845|||||Created: 2009-06-23|||||Updated: 2010-06-30|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC1845|
Deployment Solution software helps reduce the cost of deploying and managing servers, desktops, notebooks, and thin clients from a centralized location in your environment. It's an easy-to-use, automated deployment solution that offers OS deployment, configuration, computer personality migration, and software deployment across different hardware platforms and OS types.
Deployment Solution no longer supports Windows 2000. For a list of platforms that are supported in this release, see Knowledge Base article 47794.
For the Release Notes of earlier versions of Deployment Solution 6.9, see the following articles:
Deployment Solution is part of the following suites:
- Altiris™ Client Management Suite from Symantec
For release notes, see Knowledge Base article 48420.
- Altiris™ Server Management Suite from Symantec
For release notes, see Knowledge Base article 48733.
The following are new features of DS 6.9 SP3 Build 430:
- Support for the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 operating platforms. For detailed information on supported platforms, please see Knowledgebase article 47794
- PC Transplant (included with Deployment Solution) has been updated to support Windows 7 migrations from Windows XP and Vista. For more information, see the PC Transplant Release Notes article 48704.
- DAgent can now be uninstalled from the DS Console. To access the uninstall option, right-click the client in the DS Console.
- DAgent supports the customdata.ini file.
- The DS Linux preboot automation environment now uses the openSUSE 11.1 Linux kernel 18.104.22.168.
- The Deployment Solution installation adds the Ghost Walker tool. The tool must be used manually as there are no integrated tasks or jobs in Deployment Solution.
- New options were added to the Evaluation Mode functionality of DeployAnywhere. Separate filenames can now be specified for the report and log files allowing reporting and logging of multiple computers. The logPath option and the logId option can be used together or individually. LogPath contains the fully qualified path to where the DeployAnywhere log files are written and LogId is a string is prepended to the log file names. For example, Ghdplyaw32.exe /target=c: /eval /logPath=z:\logs /logId=zzz.
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 support has been added. Please download the updated ADLAgent files from KB 48984.
- AClient now has a packet keep alive feature (ping) that can be enabled to keep an active socket connection at all times with the AXengine. This prevents computers from appearing gray in the console but showing blue on the physical box. Please see KB 48987 for information on how to enable this functionality.
- AClntUsr has been deprecated due to security concerns. AClient is now responsible for reporting the currently logged in user.
Some HP thin-client models do not require you to purchase licenses of Deployment Solution while others do. Contact your HP representative to get a list of the models in each category.
Where to download
Deployment Solution 6.9 SP3 can be obtained from http://www.symantec.com/business/deployment-solution. Deployment Solution 6.9 SP3 is a full product installation and can be upgraded from Deployment Solution 6.8 or 6.9 versions.
The installation process for Deployment Solution 6.9 SP3 is the same as it was for Deployment Solution 6.9 and 6.8. For detailed instructions, including the minimum rights for the OS and SQL, please see the Deployment Solution 6.8 Installation Guide.
When you are performing an upgrade or installing another Deployment Solution version, ensure that you don't have a remote console running. The remote console must be shut down before you try to upgrade or reinstall the Deployment Solution software.
Stop the following services on your Deployment Server before starting the upgrade process: Altiris Deployment Server Data Manager, Altiris Deployment Server DBManagement, Altiris Express Server, Altiris PXE Server, Altiris PXE Manager, Altiris Config Helper, and Altiris PXE MTFTP Server.Upgrading from Deployment Solution 6.8 SP1, SP2 and DS 6.9
Upgrading from Deployment Solution 6.8 (Disable AutoUpgrade due to KB 33129).
Deployment Solution lets you walk through the Deployment Solution installation wizard to create an answer file (install.ini) that automatically sets options when running a silent install. For details on this process, see article 22602, "Can Deployment Solution be installed silently?"
|Fixed Issue||Article ID|
|Automation DAgent fails to report processor type and count on multi-processor systems.||48651|
|RDeploy file path invalid error received when an image has previously been modified with file exclusions in Image Explorer.||48653|
|DAgent leaks memory if the connection to the server is rejected or unavailable||47239|
|DAgent fails to find the DS server with Multicast Discovery in WinPE automation||47067|
The following are known issues in this release:
|Known Issue||Article ID|
|Which HP Thin Client Models Receive A Free License?||51037|
|Deployment Solution 6.9 SP3 is unable to import jobs that were exported from versions prior to 6.9||48574|
|Support for Windows PE 2.x x86 and x64 only. Deployment Solution does not support Windows PE 3.0.|
|Aclient service won't start after upgrade to DS 6.9 sp3||49740|
|Silent install of DS fails because of invalid sa password||49872|
|Win32 console crashes when attempting to DS Remote Control 4 or more clients separately in its own window||49093|
|DS Remote Control shows lines or bars of color across the desktop||49657|
|'Forward Wake-On-LAN Packets' inadvertently being applied to all computers||49960|
|Access to AClient properties via command line unavailable in non-console RDP sessions||50537|
|HP Thin Client T5540 fails to run jobs when encryption is enabled||50734|
|Unable to image Windows 7||50745|
|Dagent systray icon isn't present in the systray||50988|
|Unable to delete roaming profiles while Dagent service is running||51228|
|Logged on user data slowing down axengine||51740|
|Unable to run sysprep on a Japanese Windows Server 2008 machine||51815|
|Memory leak with Aclient running on Windows 2000||51997|
|Upon reboot Server 2008 R2 x64 goes into automation||52107|
|Unable to edit existing DOS boot image with multiple NIC drivers||52135|
|"Encrypt session communication with Deployment Server" is always checked on.||52649|
|Installing dos automation partition on the t5740 fails to connect to the ds server.||53579|
KB article 49748 contains a list of all available hotfixes for DS 6.9 SP3.
For more information, you can use the following resources:
|Articles, incidents, and issues about this product.|
Symantec Connect (formerly Altiris Juice)
|An online magazine that contains best practices, tips, tricks, and articles for users of this product.|
|Forums for Symantec users.|
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC1845