Symantec Endpoint Protection Integration Component 7.0 SP1 Release Notes
|Article:DOC1999|||||Created: 2009-12-10|||||Updated: 2009-12-10|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC1999|
The Symantec Endpoint Protection Integration Component helps facilitate migration to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 through robust software delivery mechanisms that provide detailed reporting, broad deployment views (dashboards), bandwidth throttling, and advanced discovery. This free component can scale for both local and remote endpoints.
This release includes the following functionality:
- Symantec Endpoint Protection client installation tasks.
- Prebuilt upgrade tasks from third-party anti-virus vendors.
- Initiate virus scans from the Symantec Management Platform.
- Automated remediation for Endpoint Protection clients.
- Security dashboard.
- Role-and-scope-based administration.
- Multiple methods of computer discovery including Active Directory.
Features in the Release
Symantec Endpoint Protection Integration Component lets you perform common Symantec Endpoint Protection client management operations from the Symantec Management Console.
Specifically, this service pack adds the following new features:
- Extended platform coverage: Extended platform coverage: Windows 7, Windows 2008 R2 and Windows Vista SP2 Support.
- Support for IE8.
- Ability to pre-stage SEP Client package as part of the migration (With SEPIC 7.0 SP1 release SEP client package is delivered to target machines at the beginning of the migration job. The migration will not start until the SEP client package is fully delivered. The delivery task is optimized for slow connections, leveraging Altiris Agent’s bandwidth throttling and checkpoint recovery functionality and will not timeout).
- SEP 11.0.5 support.
- Additional localization support added (Korean and Chinese Simplified).
Supported Anti Virus Migration List
This release supports migration from the following list of anti virus software:
- ca (eTrust Threat Management Agent) 8
- ca (eTrust Threat Management Agent) 8.1
- ESET 3.0 Antivirus
- ESET 4.0
- ESET NOD32
- F-Secure Anti-Virus for Windows Servers 7.12
- F-Secure Anti-virus for Windows Servers 8
- Kaspersky 6.0 Antivirus
- Kaspersky 184.108.40.2062
- Kaspersky 220.127.116.115
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5 with patch 5
- McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.7i
- Sophos Antivirus 7.6
- Sophos Endpoint Security and Control 7.5
- Sophos Anti-Virus 9.0
- Symantec AntiVirus 8
- Symantec AntiVirus 9
- Symantec AntiVirus 10
- Symantec AntiVirus 10.1.9.9000
- Symantec AntiVirus 10.2.4
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 11
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.5.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition
- Trend MICRO OfficeScan 7
- Trend MICRO OfficeScan 7.3
- Trend MICRO OfficeScan 8
- Trend MICRO OfficeScan 10.0
Server system prerequisites and support:
- Symantec Management Platform 7.0. SP3.
- For release notes, see article: 45141.
- Internet Explorer 7.
Client system prerequisites and support:
- The target computers must have the Symantec Management Agent 7.0 installed.
- Windows Professional 2000 SP4, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 7, Windows 2008 R2 Server, Windows 2008 Server, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 (Both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms operating systems are supported).
- Symantec Antivirus, McAfee, Trend Micro Officescan, SEP, CA, F-Secure, Sophos, ESET, Kaspersky.
Things to Know
The following are things to know about this release:
|Thing to know||Article ID|
Creating a Symantec Endpoint Protection client package
You must create a Symantec Endpoint Protection Packages using the client package creation page. The client package creation page is located at:
Note: Creation of packages must be done from the console on the Notification Server computer.
Updating Distribution points
If you change the location of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client setup.exe file after you create a Symantec Endpoint Protection Client Install package, then you must update the package's distribution points. To update the packages distribution points do the following:
Hierarchy and replication
After you create Hierarchy between Notification Servers to replicate the items, you must replicate the Software Release. To replicate the Software Release you must create and schedule a Resource Replication Rule as follows:
The following are fixed issues worth mentioning in this release:
TrendMicro 8 Uninstall is not Working in Certain Situations (MSI Installation)
Tamper protection disabled computers should not appear in the list of computers whose tamper protection is enabled. (Report now shows proper tamper status)
Full scan task fails for scans longer than 30 minutes. (Time out increased to 600 mins)
The following are unresolved issues in this release:
Symantec Endpoint Protection Pre-requisites
SEP will not be installed if the pre-requisites do not match.
Registry entries and folders
A few registry entries and folders will be present even if we uninstall the existing antivirus.
Un-installation and inventory of localized Antivirus software
Currently we are supporting only localized version of Trend and Symantec AntiVirus antivirus software. Inventory of Trend, Symantec AntiVirus and Symantec Endpoint Protection is supported currently.
|Antivirus Inventory may return No Updates for the virus definition version. immediately after the Symantec Endpoint Protection client is installed as the client. Running the Antivirus Inventory task again once the client is initialized will return the accurate virus definition version.|
|Selecting a 32-bit package for installation on 64-bit machine, or selecting a 64-bit package for installation on a 32-bit computer will cause the migration job to fail.|
|Localized version for ESET NOD32 Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional are not supported for un-installation. A knowledgebase article is available for workaround.|
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC1999