How to do a phased rollout of Inventory Solution
|Article:HOWTO10359|||||Created: 2009-07-07|||||Updated: 2009-07-07|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO10359|
How to do a phased rollout of Inventory Solution. Given the environment, upgrading all clients at once is too big of a risk. It is required to rollout the update to the client computers in phases.
We believe that the best procedure for doing a phased rollout of Inventory Solution, or any other solution that requires client updates, is:
- Disable all existing inventory tasks.
- Allow all clients to update configuration/refresh policies to stop running the inventory tasks.
- Perform the upgrade to SP3 on the NS server. (This can be done immediately after the solution policies are disabled.)
- Immediately verify that inventory policies are still disabled (in case the upgrade enabled these policies.)
- Create a collection of an appropriate number of client computers.
- Create a new, temporary inventory policy that runs a full inventory to test all types of inventory. (A default full inventory policy can be used if existing collection(s) are removed.)
- Apply the new collection of a small number of computers to the policy and schedule it to run at a preferred time.
- When that is proven to be successful, gradually add more computers to the new collection or add other collections to that policy until all clients have updated the package.
- Once the rollout is complete, disable the temp inventory policy and enable the new policies. (If a default policy was used, reset the collections applied to that policy.)
- Depending on the length of time involved in the phased rollout, you may not receive inventory from a large segment of your client computers for some time.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO10359