How to properly image a computer with NS Client (Altiris Agent) installed
|Article:HOWTO1209|||||Created: 2005-12-07|||||Updated: 2006-12-21|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO1209|
Before making an image, do the following:
- Stop the Altiris Agent service and the client transport service. They need to still be set to autostart.
- Open the Altiris Agent computer’s Registry Editor.
- Delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Computing Edge key (This will exist if this is was an upgrade from the NS 5.5 client).
- Delete the data located at the following three locations:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Altiris\Client Service\LastUpdateComputerInfo (Note: This will exist when the AClient is installed.)
- In the file system under install path\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Client Policies, delete the .XML file (there should only be one).
- In the file system under install path\Altiris\Altiris Agent\\Software Delivery, delete all GUID folder files in this directory and the AeXSWDPolicy.xml file.
- Shut down the computer and image it. Create the image before the Altiris Agent posts any event to the Notification Server. When the Altiris Agent requests a client config policy, a new unique Altiris Agent GUID will be created by the Notification Server and sent to the Altiris Agent. A new policy config XML will be sent to the client. The same Altiris Agent GUID is placed in three locations for backward compatibility reasons.
Note: For more information, you could also check article 19323, "How to prepare a workstation for imaging that includes the NS Agent."
Additional Note: If you are trying to correct this problem after it has occurred, you can give each computer their own GUID by running the AeXAgentUtil.exe program with the /resetguid switch.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO1209