Support for Nested Installations
|Article:HOWTO2579|||||Created: 2006-03-01|||||Updated: 2006-09-19|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO2579|
What is Wise Solutions' position on Nested Installations?
Wise Solutions provides support in our product for nested installations because it is provided in the Windows Installer specification and we understand that, under some circumstances, a nested installation may be the only option that meets our customers' requirements. However, we agree with Microsoft's best practice recommendations that there are significant limitations to nested installations, and that an installation developer should be aware of those limitations before they choose to create a nested installation.
Those limitations include:
- Nested installations cannot share components.
- An administrative installation cannot also contain a nested installation.
- Patching and upgrading may not work with nested installations.
- The installer may not properly cost a nested installation.
- Integrated Progress Bars cannot be used with nested installations.
- Resources that are to be advertised cannot be installed by the nested installation.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO2579