Steps to move Notification Server 6.0 SP3 from one server to another
|Article:HOWTO3177|||||Created: 2006-04-14|||||Updated: 2007-09-26|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO3177|
I want to move my current Notification Server from one server to a new one without losing his information.
Notification Server 6.0.xxxx
These steps are general and could change from one environment to another. These are provided as reference:
- Update all the current installed solutions on your Notification Server before moving to the new server. Make sure that your updated solutions work fine.
- If you are keeping the same server name, no further actions are required for the Altiris agents. Altiris agents will resolve the same server name via DNS even though it is a new server. If you are changing the server name to something else, you could do a few things. Number 1 in the following list is the easiest, then number 2, and so on.
- Specify an alternate URL for the Altiris Agent to use to access the Notification Server. Go to Configuration tab > Altiris Agent > Altiris Agent Configuration and on Advanced Settings check the box for the option where you can specify an alternate Notification Server. Write the new server information and click on Apply. Remove the Altiris agents from your Client computers and install them after you moved the Notification Server to the new computer.
- Create a login script that uses AexAgentUtil.exe with the /server to change the servername. An example would be AexAgentutil /server:NewServer
- Remove the Altiris agents from your Client computers and install them after you moved the Notification Server to the new computer.
Note: For more details see article 28820, "How do you migrate computers from one Notification Server to another?"
- Make sure that you have backups of your database. If something goes wrong during the Notification Server upgrade at least you can use one of your backups.
- Make sure that you back up all the customized collections and reports. You can export them (right-click on the customized collection or folder and select export) and keep a copy of them in case that you need them. Also take notes of what settings you have. Upgrading to Notification Server 6.0 SP3 will change back to the default settings.
- If you have Software Delivery Tasks that you want to migrate, see article 34036, "How to migrate Software Delivery tasks and packages from one server to another".
- If you have package servers setup in your environment, read the release notes for Notification Server 6.0 SP3 related to Package Servers. There are some settings and steps that you need to consider.
- If you are using Helpdesk, make sure that you review the reference guide to know what files you need to move besides the incidents database. See article 28976, "Migrating Helpdesk from one server to another".
- On the new server, install the operating system, IIS, .NET framework and all the necessary patches. Review the requirements for installing Notification Server. See article 25896, "Notification Server requirements".
- Install Notification Server. During NSSetup, make sure that you use a Domain Admin account or a Local Admin account.
- During the database configuration, create a new database. It is safer that you use a new database in order to install the same Solutions that you have previously on the original database. A copy of the currently installed Solutions MSIs are located under 'C:\Program Files\Altiris\Setup Files' directory. In order to know what order you should run the MSIs, check the .ini file located in the same folder. After the Solutions had been installed, you can point to the original database and upgrade it to Notification Server 6.0 SP3 (in order to do this, run NSSetup one more time but this time using an existing database). You can run NSSetup by using the following link on your browser: http://localhost/Altiris/NS/Install/NSSetup.aspx In case that you can't access to the original database (getting Access Denied when the Altiris Console opens), you may need to reset your SIDs. See Article ID: 2004 "How to copy the NS database from one NS Server to another"
- If your customized collections and reports are not present after upgrading to Notification Server 6.0 SP3 with the original database, import them into the location that you want in the Altiris console.
- Check your settings and set them as you have them before.
These steps assume that you have your SQL Server on a different server. If you have SQL Server on the same server, please refer to article 20213, "How to move an existing Altiris database from one SQL server to a new SQL server".
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO3177