HOW TO: Download and Install PGP Desktop for Windows
|Article:HOWTO41892|||||Created: 2006-02-16|||||Updated: 2011-02-28|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO41892|
This article describes how to download and install PGP Desktop for Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Server 2003.
Download PGP Desktop
For purchases after July 6, 2009
After completing your purchase of PGP software through the PGP Online Store, you will receive an order confirmation email that includes a link to login to the lems.pgp.com and download the software.
UPDATE: Beginning Feb 2011, PGP products are downloaded via the Symantec Licensing Portal.
For purchases prior to February 7, 2011, use the following steps to download your software. If accessing the lems.pgp.com site, you are redirected to the Symantec Licensing Portal. You can then enter your email address to request your Symantec Licensing Portal account information.
Your account information contains your purchase information including Product Description, License Type, Number of Seats and Maintenance Level you purchased.
1. Login to your Symantec Licensing Portal account. licensing.symantec.com/acctmgmt/pgpLandingPage.jsp
2. Click Get Software.
3. Select the preferred download method.
4. Select the file(s) to download for your product and then click Begin Downloading.
5. Choose to save the file to disk, and then choose a location to save the download file.
6. Click Save to begin the download.
For purchases prior to July 6, 2009
Your download link is included in your order conformation email. Use the directions below to download PGP Desktop.
After purchasing PGP Desktop, you should have received an order confirmation email from PGP Corporation. The order confirmation email contains a link (URL) that allows you to download a copy of PGP Desktop.
Often the link in the order confirmation email is large enough to wrap over several lines. This may cause the link to be only partially hyper-linked. As a result, when the link is clicked, a download link error may occur.
To download the PGP Desktop software, please follow these steps:
1. Open your PGP order confirmation email, locate the portion of the email which says Download your product(s) here, and click on the ensuing link.
2. When the PGP Web site loads, click Download. If the download doesn't start within a few seconds, this may be due to a pop-up blocker. If you are using a pop-up blocker, please hold down the Ctrl key while clicking the Download button.
3. Choose to save the file to disk, and then choose a location to save the download file. Tip: To easily locate the file after it has been downloaded, choose Desktop for its download location.
4. Click Save to begin the download.
Install PGP Desktop
The PGP Desktop installation file is located inside 2 zipped archive files. In order to install PGP Desktop, you must first extract its installer from the zipped archive files. Windows XP and 2003 have a built-in extraction utility for this purpose, but Windows 2000 does not. In Windows 2000, it might be necessary to install a 3rd-party program capable of extracting the contents of .zip archive files.
Extract the PGP Desktop Installer File
1. Right-click on the downloaded PGP Desktop zipped file.
2. From the context menu, select Extract All and follow the Extraction Wizard. Click Finish to show the extracted files.
3. In the extracted folder, right-click the PGPDesktop1002_Windows_Inner zipped file and select Extract All and follow the Extraction Wizard. Click Finish to show the extracted files.
4. When the file extraction is complete, the folder displays the installation file for PGP Desktop.
5. To install the 32-bit edition of PGP Desktop, select PGPDesktopWin32-1002. For the 64-bit edition of PGP Desktop select PGPDesktopWin64-1002.
Install PGP Desktop
1. Double-click the PGP Desktop installation file you extracted.
2. Please read the license agreement, and then select the option to accept the license agreement.
3. Click Next.
4. After the installation is complete you will be prompted to restart your computer. Click Yes to restart your computer immediately. If you wish to restart the computer later, click No. Note that after PGP Desktop has been installed, you will not be able to use it until your computer has been restarted.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO41892