HOW TO: Use PGP Instant Messenger Proxy with PGP Desktop 9.5 for Macintosh
|Article:HOWTO41971|||||Created: 2006-09-05|||||Updated: 2012-02-02|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO41971|
This article describes how to use the instant messenger proxy for PGP Desktop 9.5.
HOW TO: Use Instant Messenger with PGP Desktop 9.5 for Macintosh
PGP Desktop 9.x automatically encrypts IM sessions if the following conditions are met: Both users in the IM session are running PGP Desktop 9.0 or greater. They also have the Encrypt Instant message setting enabled in the PGP Desktop preferences. To enable this setting:
- Open PGP Desktop by clicking on the PGP Desktop icon in the system menu bar, then scroll down and click Open PGP Desktop. If the PGP Desktop icon is not visible in the system menu then start PGP Desktop by clicking on the application (default location is the Applications folder).
- In the menu click PGP, then scroll down and click Preferences.
- Click on the Messaging tab.
- Check the box beside Encrypt AOL® Instant Messages by clicking on it. (By default this box is already checked.)
- If desired, you can also change options for display.
- To change the proxy options, click the Proxy Options button and select the Instant Messaging tab. Adjust the settings if desired.
- Click OK.
- Close the Preferences screen by clicking on the red x on the left corner of the screen.
Now that you have met the above conditions, simply start your IM session as normal. Your IM session will be automatically and transparently protected. You can verify that your IM session is being protected by:
- The notification message that appears under the PGP Desktop icon in the menu bar at the time you log in to your IM client.
- When you open an IM session with another user running PGP Desktop and the session is protected, the buddy icon for the other user will be overlaid with a PGP logo.
- If you open the Messaging log after you have started your IM session, it will have an entry noting that the IM session is being proxied.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO41971