HOW TO: Create Virtual Disks in PGP Mobile
|Article:HOWTO42012|||||Created: 2008-03-18|||||Updated: 2012-02-02|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42012|
This article details the process to create a Virtual Disk in PGP Mobile.
PGP Mobile supports all virtual disk algorithms (AES256, CAST5, and TwoFish), disk types (sparse and normal), and user types (public key or symmetric) as long as the disk is formatted using the FAT32, FAT16, or FAT12 file system. You can also create new sparse virtual disks of any size that are FAT formatted.
A PGP Virtual Disk is an area of space, in memory on your device or on an external storage card, which is set aside and encrypted. PGP Virtual Disks are much like a bank vault, and are very useful for protecting sensitive files while the rest of your device is unlocked for work.
PGP Virtual Disks are unlocked and locked by mounting and unmounting them from your device. PGP Mobile helps manage this operation for you. When a PGP Virtual Disk is mounted, you can:
- Move/copy files into or out of the mounted PGP Virtual Disk.
- Save files to the mounted PGP Virtual Disk.
- Install applications within the mounted PGP Virtual Disk.
When a PGP Virtual Disk is unmounted, it does not appear within the File Explorer, and it is inaccessible to anyone without proper authentication.
Create a PGP Virtual Disk
Use the following steps to create a virtual disk on your PGP Mobile device:
- Launch PGP Mobile. Tap Start>Programs>PGP Mobile.
- Tap Menu>PGP Disk>New Disk. The PGP Disk Create screen is displayed.
- Enter a Name for the virtual disk.
- Select a Folder for the disk.
- Select a Location for the disk.
- Tap Save.
- Specify a Size for the PGP Virtual Disk. This is the maximum size the disk can grow to.
- Select the name of the User who can mount the PGP Virtual Disk. Disks may be encrypted to a PGP key or a Passphrase User.
- Select an encryption algorithm to encrypt the PGP Virtual Disk. AES (256 bit), CAST5 (128 bit), Twofish (256 bit) encryption algorithms are available to protect your data.
- Tap OK to complete the creation of the PGP Virtual Disk.
Note: If the PGP Virtual Disk was protected to a Passphrase User, you are prompted to enter a passphrase prior to the disk being created.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42012