How can I use the Software Scan (AuditPls.exe) to find other files besides executables?
|Article:HOWTO4483|||||Created: 2006-08-02|||||Updated: 2009-09-23|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO4483|
How can I use the AeXAuditPls.exe scan to find files other than executables?
To modify the Software Scan (AeXAuditPls.exe) to pick up other files, do the following:
- Edit Auditpls.ini using AeXAPEdit.exe. (Default location is in the NSCap\Bin\Win32\X86 directory on the Notification Server.)
- Add the file name (no spaces are allowed) or extension to the File Mask section. See examples below.
- Go to the Include Unknown Tab and select Invalid - including all data files to capture non-executables. Generally, it is best to select all file types if you are not sure how Windows would classify the file.
- Save the auditpls.ini and copy it to the X86\Inventory Solution package directory.
- In the Console open up the Inventory Agent package, and choose the "Update Distribution Points" button, so that the clients are updated the next time they check in.
Examples of entries in the File Mask section:
- *file.xls (* is a wild card, and will match "My File.xls" and "Your File.xls")
- myown.dll (this will only find files named myown.dll)
- my* (will match "MyText.txt", "My Presentation.ppt", "My Document.doc", etc.)
The next time the Software scan runs, these files will be included in the NSI, and then the file can be reported on like other executables.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO4483