Support Recommended Reading List for Deployment Solution 7.x (updated March 2013)
|Article:HOWTO55859|||||Created: 2011-07-06|||||Updated: 2013-04-08|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55859|
(Formerly known as Commonly Used Articles)
This is a list of recommended articles from support we've found particularly useful to a wide audience when configuring and troubleshooting Deployment Solution.
Review the "General" list at the top, start with the Getting Started section, and then browse the rest.
- Useful Tools / General Information
- Getting Started with Deployment Solution
- Custom Configurations / Making DS work for you.
- General Troubleshooting
- PXE, PXE, and more PXE!
- Troubleshooting Image Capture and Deployments
- Task and Task Related (to Deployment specifically)
Recent Additions and/or Highlights (look for the links below)
|These two were gleaned from looking at the BootWiz logs created on the SMP (but missing from all site servers). One tells you how to enable BootWiz logging on your site servers, and the other teaches you how to build a task to force a rebuild of a preboot configuration on a single site server rather than using the DS console (which rebuilds on ALL site servers).|
|Though support for these are limited at this time, Support took the time to test EFI/UEFI, Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 to find out what could be done with the product today. These list our limitations and a few work-arounds we were able to find. It should be noted that getting support for these is an active process currently.|
|HowTo48411||Pointing this out because we've seen a new influx of calls about Task. Package services being placed on the SMP is another rehash of an old problem. Being aware of site servers is never an old subject.|
|HowTo83910||A brand new article covering just about every aspect of managing an Automation folder you could need. If you use these, pay close attention and save yourself a support call!|
|At the top of the General Troubleshooting are three issues we recently had to wrestle with dealing with automation. One had to do with how quickly you could schedule jobs, another with jobs that fail after going into production, and a third had to do with people who would use a device in automation (e.g. NIC or Docking station) that was inactive in production (e.g they used Wireless in production) and therefore showed up as a new computer in automation.|
- HOWTO53220 - Product Architecture and Dataflow (Recommended)
- On CONNECT - "Putting it All Together" Document and Video Series
A set of docs and videos teaching product use and troubleshooting
- HOWTO60787 - SSE Tools - advanced troubleshooting tools
- HOWTO21449 - RAAD - remote agent diagnostics
- HOWTO77027 - ITMS Technical Resource Kit (may overlap SSE Tools)
- DOC4467 - Release Notes for DS 7.1 SP1a
- HOWTO81832 - Release Notes for ITMS 7.1 SP2 MP1 rollup V3
- HOWTO48411 - Task Management Best Practices (Recommended)
- HOWTO83482 - EFI / UEFI Support
- HOWTO83763 - Windows 8 / Windows 2012 Support
- HOWTO30267 - "Quick Start" guide for DS (from Support)
- HOWTO44396 - DS "Samples": Tasks, reports, & tokens (not fully supported)
- HOWTO44092 - Migrating from DS 6.9 to DS 7.1
- HOWTO21623 - Setting up PXE on DS 7.1 Server
- HOWTO21731 - Image Storage and Replication
- HOWTO83910 - Managing Automation Folders: Create, Upgrade, Remove, etc.
- HOWTO36080 - How to add the SMA to an image in WinPE
- HOWTO75168 - Putting it all Together: Scaling DS to the Enterprise
- HOWTO32586 - Moving the image store location
- HOWTO21724 - How to add another PXE Server (after the NS)
- HOWTO10872 - Adding NIC / Mass Storage drivers
- HOWTO10090 - Migrating BDC Drivers from DS 6.9 to 7.x
- HOWTO42244 - add HOST file entries to Linux Automation
- HOWTO83750 - Creating a Boot Disk with self contained image deployment
- HOWTO55908 - Customizing your WinPE Environment
- HOWTO84000 - Enable BootWiz logging on site servers other than SMP
- HOWTO84002 - Build a task to rebuild a preboot config on a single site server
- TECH203216 - Jobs don't schedule on new computers (Delta update must run first)
- TECH203390 - Deployment jobs fail after reboot to production during the tasks that follow
- TECH202638 - Computers not recognized in Automation when using an inactive NIC
- TECH186664 - Managing DeployAnywhere with a New Version & troubleshooting.
- HOWTO31248 - DS Logging top to bottom
- TECH127264 - Task Handler folder is missing files/folders
- TECH133451 - PXE Server not on PXE Server Config page
- TECH127551 - PXE Server not on PXE Server Config page v2
- TECH165605 - Interpretor for "command script" is not installed
- TECH127620 - Automation Agent doesnt talk to NS over HTTPS
- TECH1442575 - DS Site Components only install the WAIK
- TECH142575 - Installation of DS Site fails or installs partially.
- HOWTO7071 - Vendor Specific PXE Forced Mode
- TECH152363 - PXE Configs don't show on all servers.
- TECH133468 - Computers treated as "unknown" by PXE
- TECH140403 - Deleted computers are still "known" by PXE
How to make know computers "unknown" to PXE
How to test Init. Dep. after deleting computers
- TECH165880 - PXE services bind to incorrect NIC if dual+ NIC's
- TECH127349 - Interface service crashes on startup
- TECH127602 - SBS Services fail - InitialPXEConfigPath prob
- TECH127591 - SBS Services fail - SBSNSiSignal.ini problem
- TECH139487 - How to update Automation Folders
- TECH159249 - What happend to my F8 Menu?
- TECH133468 - Managed PC's treated as Unknown by PXE
- HOWTO26109 - Which PXE Configs are in-use, and where.
- TECH152363 - PXE menus only show on some Site Servers
- TECH164467 - Image capture fails because GHConfig can't find an active drive
- TECH157386 - Unknown Exception with ghost capture - "file does not exist"
- HOWTO42340 - Troubleshooting Initial Deployment
- HOWTO21648 - Licensing with KMS Servers
- HOWTO41864 - Predefined Computers with MAC only!!
- TECH159420 - Initial Deploy and Predefined computers connect to the wrong Task Server
- TECH122141 - Product Key = blank when imaging
- TECH127631 - "file not found" when imaging with Ghost
- TECH127632 - images pulled from remote Task Servers
- HOWTO48411 - Task Management Best Practices
- TECH46108 - "Task instance is being put to sleep..."
- TECH127269 - "Object TaskServerHandler is not installed"
- TECH140237 - Clients don't follow Task assignments.
- TECH141851 - "save script output with task status" problems
- HOWTO36080 - install SMAgent in Automation via VBS
- HOWTO10863 - Reducing Task traffic to the NS
- HOWTO30341 - Creating a Seral # Token
- HOWTO32436 - TS Troubleshooting Guide
- HOWTO32603 - Manual installation of Task Servers
- TECH143463 - Clients can't register on 2008R2 / IIS7
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55859