HOW TO: Create a network share for use with PGP Desktop
|Article:HOWTO58944|||||Created: 2011-08-12|||||Updated: 2011-08-16|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO58944|
PGP Whole Disk Encryption Workgroup Edition and PGP NetShare are two features of PGP Desktop which depend heavily on accessing Windows file (or network) shares. Both are sensitive to how the Windows file share is created. To eliminate many potential issues with accessing the file shares, it is recommended to create the file shares from within the Shared Folders management console.
- Right-click My Computer and then select Manage. The Computer Management console is displayed.
- In the left pane, click on the plus [+] next to Shared Folders.
- Right-click the Shares folder on the left pane and select New File Share.
- Click Next to begin the Create a Shared Folder Wizard.
- Click Browse to locate the desired folder to share.
- Type a Share name and Share description and then click Next.
- Set the permissions for the folder.
- For PGP NetShare folders, you will want to customize the folder permissions to allow users modify or full control permissions.
- Users of PGP Whole Disk Encryption Workgroup Edition can use the read-only access.
- Ensure that the permissions on the folder in the NT File System (NTFS) will allow users appropriate access.
- PGP Whole Disk Encryption Workgroup Edition is case sensitive for server name, share name, user name and password.
- While PGP NetShare users only require read access, they will only be able to create or modify files if the share and NTFS permissions allow these actions.
- PGP Whole Disk Encryption Workgroup Edition uses the credentials from the URI in the management console to access the share rather than the current user's login for Windows. This means you only need to give NTFS and share permission to the account you enter in the URI
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO58944