How to troubleshoot client's failing to return Patch Management Inventories for v7.1 SP1, SP2, MP1.x and 7.5?
|Article:HOWTO60750|||||Created: 2011-10-31|||||Updated: 2014-09-22|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO60750|
Step 1: Ensure the client is not in need of a reboot: TECH127365
Step 2: Ensure the client has consumed a Patch License: HOWTO59456
- Ensure the client's Patch License consumption is in order and the client is receiving the PM 7.X Patch Microsoft Vulnerability Analysis Policy package: TECH170397
- Ensure the client's Patch License is consuming as detailed for PM 7.1 SP1, SP2 or MP1; Windows System Assessment Scan: Step 6: HOWTO56242
- Ensure the targeted filters are in order for the Software Update Plug-in Install & Upgrade Policies; turned on and deploying
- Ensure the targeted filters are in order for the Patch Install Tools;
Step 3: Ensure the PMImport is current
- The PMImport is the foundation of Patch Inventories; ensure there are no hung tasks running
- View Troubleshooting PMImport on KM: TECH166778
- Even if all is in order on PMImport Page; it may be failing Revise Software Updates Task:
- View 'Currently Running Tasks' report found in KM: HOWTO54534 or KM: HOWTO52986 to see if it is hanging on Revised or Downloading Updates
- If running tasks are hung for PMImport or Revise Software Updates; review steps outlined on KM: TECH144662 to truncate bloated Task Tables and KM: TECH209754 to clean up orphaned tasks
Step 4: Clear the Server-side data hash for Patch Dataclasses: HOWTO60749
Step 5: Configure Client to trap Notification Server Event (NSE) files: HOWTO4191
- These files can be later viewed with Notepad following a Patch Inventory Scan
- Copy / Paste these files onto the Management Server into the default location: C:\Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\NSCap\EvtQFast folder.
- Watch the logs to see if these files are failing to process with errors
- Note: Right-click / Open with > Notepad - ensure the file type is not associated with the Notepad.
Step 6: Force a scan of the Patch Management Inventories: HOWTO58971
Step 7: Review troubleshooting Patch Report inaccuracies: TECH167291
Step 8: Ensure the Patch Plug-ins are current with the current SMP / Altiris Agents; location detailed on KM: HOWTO56242: Step 2.
The NSE should display the update name and data confirming the update IsInstalled / IsAppplicable. Most common problems are outlined in this article; however, there may be a problem with the Altiris Agent failing to gather NSE's and return them to the Management Server, and this lies outside Patch Management Solution. An uninstall / reinstall of the Altiris Agent may be in order to resolve this issue.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO60750