There was some fundamental changes to our SDK for PGP Desktop in the 10.2 release. Some of these changes require more .dll files to be included in the image when creating the winpe.wim file and generating the WinPE.iso file. This requires new steps and new files to copy over in order to get WinPE customization to work with PGP Desktop 10.2.
Note: You must have PGP Desktop 10.2 Build 2380 or newer and the Windows AIK already installed. A familiarity with generating WinPE ISO files using the Windows AIK is helpful as well.
Steps on how to customize the WindowPE environment with PGP Desktop 10.2
Please note: These steps only work with the English version of the AIK currently. There is no localized versions of the PGP WDE tools for PGP Desktop 10.2 at the time of writing this article.
1) Create a new folder on the root of the C drive labelled as C:\WDE
2) Copy these files from the following locations to c:\WDE
%programfiles%\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop
3) Open deployment tools command prompt (as admin) and then run this command:
copype.cmd x86 c:\winpe_x86
This creates the following directory structure for WinPE:
The \ISO directory contains all the necessary files to build an .iso file by using the Oscdimg tool. The \mount directory is used to mount Windows PE images by using ImageX. You must create a separate build environment for each hardware architecture.
4) Close deployment tools command prompt and open regular windows command prompt (as administrator)
5) Run these commands:
Pgppe /winpe c:\winpe_x86 c:\wde
If successful the following message will appear:
Successfully installed the WDE driver and tools into winpe.
6) Copy the file c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim to c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\ by running this command:
copy c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim
7) Close the windows command prompt
8) Open deployment tools command prompt (as administrator) run this command:
oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso
If you’ve made it this far without any errors then you have successfully generated the winpe_x86.iso file with the new PGP Desktop/WDE 10.2 tools integrated into the ISO image.