How do I exclude file types or directories from a Software Virtualization Solution layer?
|Article:HOWTO6591|||||Created: 2007-01-31|||||Updated: 2007-05-22|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO6591|
How can I exclude file types and/or directories from a Software Virtualization Solution layer, so files are still available when the Software Virtualization Solution layer is deactivated, reset, or removed? The file types and directories that are excluded from the Software Virtualization Solution layer will continue to be available when the layer is deactivated, reset, or removed.
- Open the Altiris Software Virtualization Solution Admin utility.
- Right-click on the layer you want to exclude file types or directories from and click Deactivate Layer.
- If the message appears indicating that the layer is being deactivated and asks if you wish to terminate the process and continue deactivating the layer, click Yes.
- When the layer is deactivated (not bold in the list), right-click it and click Edit Advanced Layer Properties.
- When the Edit Layer box appears, click the Exclude Entries tab.
- In the Exclude Entries field, right-click, then click Exclude New Entry.
- When the Layer Exclude Entry box appears,
- If you are excluding a file extension from the layer, click File Extension and enter a file extension (without the period) and click OK. The file extension will be added to the exclude list.
- If you are excluding a directory from the layer, click Directory, enter a directory, and click OK. The directory will be added to the exclude list.
Note: The following values can be used to exclude files created in a Microsoft Office Software Virtualization Solution layer.
Type Value Directory and Subdirectories [LOCALAPPDATA]\microsoft\Outlook Directory and Subdirectories [LOCALAPPDATA]\microsoft\infopath File Extension .bmp File Extension .cvs File Extension .dbf File Extension .dif File Extension .doc File Extension .dot File Extension .emf File Extension .gif File Extension .htm File Extension .html File Extension .jpg File Extension .mht File Extension .mhtml File Extension .ost File Extension .png File Extension .pot File Extension .ppa File Extension .pps File Extension .ppt File Extension .prn File Extension .ps File Extension .pst File Extension .psw File Extension .pub File Extension .pwd File Extension .pwi File Extension .rtf File Extension .slk File Extension .tif File Extension .txt File Extension .wk1 File Extension .wk3 File Extension .wk4 File Extension .wks File Extension .wmf File Extension .wps File Extension .wq1 File Extension .xla File Extension .xls File Extension .xlw File Extension .xml
- Repeat the exclusions until you have excluded the file extensions and directory you don't want included in the layer. When done, close the Edit Layer box.
- In the Altiris Software Virtualization Solution Admin window, right-click the layer and click Activate Layer.
- When the layer is activated, the layer will be displayed in bold.
- Now when files with the excluded extensions are saved, and when files are saved in the excluded directories, the files will continue to be available even when the layer is deactivated.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO6591