How to remove the Access Control List on protected NSF documents
|Article:HOWTO77319|||||Created: 2012-07-23|||||Updated: 2012-10-16|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO77319|
For this particular procedure to work, you need to have the user.id file associated with the NSF file. If you do not have the user.id file then some 3rd party de-encryption application must be used in lieu of this procedure.
Please download and install the Lotus Notes 8.5. It must not be installed on any Clearwell Server. There is a version of Lotus Notes installed on Clearwell but it is tied directly to Clearwell so it must not be modified in any way, therefore the following steps must not be performed on any Clearwell Server.
You should be able to find Lotus Notes 8.5 on http://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/notesanddomino.
** Disclaimer: When installing Lotus Notes on another computer, it is important to be aware of other programs that may be affected by Lotus Notes. Clearwell is not responsible for any issues caused by this.
Here are the instructions to remove the password:
- Launch the Notes Client 8.5 and switch the user using the user.id file. You do that using the File Menu's Security-> Switch User option.
- Open the NSF file after you have switched the user and make sure you can view the messages. Then go to the database properties by choosing File -> Database->Properties.
- Click on the button "Encryption Settings" and select "No Encryption".
- Close the dialog box as well as the database/file.
- Close the NSF tab for the database.
- Re-launch the NSF file and you should see a progress bar saying "Compacting Database"
- Once it is finished, switch back to the original user using the user.id located in the Notes data folder in the Notes installation path or from logged-on user's notes data path
- To ensure that the NSF file's password is cleared off, open the file again in Notes client after rolling back to the original user.
Note: The Lotus Notes client software version is scheduled to be upgraded with the release of Clearwell Version 6.1.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO77319