Viewing Email with PGP Viewer
|Article:HOWTO83451|||||Created: 2013-01-18|||||Updated: 2013-01-18|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO83451|
This article provides the requirements and steps to install PGP Desktop for Windows. For a video on how to install PGP Desktop, see the following article.
Use PGP Viewer to open (decrypt, verify, and display) encrypted message files of the following types:
- *.pgp: Created by a PGP application.
- *.eml: Created by Outlook Express or Thunderbird.
- *.emlx: Created by Apple's Mail.app program on Mac OS X systems.
- *.msg: Created by Microsoft Outlook.
When PGP Viewer opens an encrypted message, it does not overwrite the encrypted text. The original message remains intact.
To decrypt, verify, and display an encrypted message from a file
- Open PGP Viewer. To do this, select the PGP icon in the system tray and then select PGP Viewer or from within PGP Desktop select the PGP Viewer control box.
- Click Open File in PGP Viewer or pull down the Viewer menu and select Open File in PGP Viewer. The Open Message File dialog appears.
- In the Open Message File dialog box, navigate to the file you want to open, select it, then click Open. PGP Viewer decrypts, verifies, and displays the message in a separate window.
Tip:You can drag and drop the file you want to open onto the portion of the PGP Viewer windows that displays: Drag Email or Files Here. PGP Viewer opens the file, decrypts and verifies it, and displays the message.
- To open another message, click Open Message in the toolbar, navigate to the desired file, select it, then click Open. PGP Viewer decrypts, verifies, and displays the message. A pane on the left side of the PGP Viewer screen is displayed so that you can see all open messages.
- To open a pane on the left side of the PGP Viewer window or to close the pane if it is open, click the Pane button on the toolbar.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO83451