Note: This document describes a procedure which repurposes a Symantec product function in order to deploy a free Symantec utility. This information is provided as a convenience but it is not itself a supported function of Symantec software.
Self-Extracting Executable Archive
In order to usefully deploy SymHelp to remote systems it is necessary to create a self-extracting executable archive that contains and runs SymHelp as well as provides a means to preconfigure the launch of SymHelp with additional command-line parameters. Utilities such as WinZip and 7zip can be used to create just such a package that can then be supplied to the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager’s (SEPM) Client Deployment Wizard.
In selecting the proper command-line parameters reference the following document:
Local System Account
When using the SEPM Client Deployment Wizard it is important to realize that this deployment method will launch SymHelp using the local System account. This means that user profile data will not be available for any reports or tools you may select to run. In particular, this will impact the results in the Threat Analysis Tools Symantec Power Eraser and Load Point Analysis.
1. In the Home view in Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager’s console, in the Common Tasks drop down list in the upper right corner select the ‘Install protection client to computers’
2. After the Client Deployment Wizard opens, select ‘Existing Package Deployment’ and ‘Browse’ to the executable containing SymHelp.exe that you would like to deploy. Click ‘Next’.
3. Your SymHelp “deployment package” will then be uploaded
4. In the ‘Computer Selection’ window choose the computer(s) you want to run SymHelp on. Enter login credentials as needed.
5. Computers are added after login credentials and connectivity are tested
6. Once you have one or more computers listed in the right hand side, click ‘Next’
7. In the ‘Install Symantec Endpoint Protection Client’ window review the list of computers you have selected to deploy SymHelp to and then click ‘Send’
8. While the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager is deploying and executing the “package”, a progress indicator shows that status for each computer. The status is 100% once this has been accomplished. This is not an indication that SymHelp ran successfully, only an indication that it was copied to the machine and launched successfully.
9. Once the package has been deployed a summary window is shown