How to create a major upgrade with WISE
|Article:HOWTO8547|||||Created: 2005-09-29|||||Updated: 2006-09-27|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO8547|
How do I create an upgrade?
There are three types of upgrades that can be created with the Windows Installer technology: a Major Upgrade, a Minor Upgrade, and a Small Update. A Major Upgrade is used to make a large change that warrants a full version upgrade. A Minor Upgrade is a minor version change such as adding a few new files and/or making many small corrections. A Small Update is used when you make a few minute changes that do not warrant a version change.
Below are the steps for creating a Major Upgrade using the Upgrade page in the Installation Expert area. The Minor Upgrade and Small Update upgrades are created using the Patch Wizard tool.
Required Modifications for a Major Upgrade
Component IDs: Same as previous version
Upgrade Code: Same as previous version
Package Code: Changed from previous version
Product Code: Changed from previous version
Version Number: Changed from previous version
Steps in creating a Major Upgrade:
- Open the existing .WSI; select File, then Save As and rename the .WSI in the same directory that the original existed. This will ensure that the new .WSI will continue to compile successfully.
- Go to the Product Details page in Installation Expert, and update the Product Version by at least 1.
- Click on the Product Code and select the Change button to generate a new Product Code. Click No to warning. Do not change the Upgrade Code.
- Complete the Upgrades page (see steps below).
- Make necessary changes to the Upgrade .WSI.
- Run Upgrade Synch from the Tools menu against the original .MSI.
- Compile and test.
To fill out the Upgrades page:
- Go to the Upgrades page in Installation Expert.
- Select Add. Browse to the previous version .MSI and select Open.
- Make sure the previous versions are within the Minimum Version to Maximum Version range. (Use the Include Minimum Version or Include Maximum Version when necessary.)
- Check Exclude Languages in list if you do not want to update the Languages versions that are specified in the Exclude Languages list.
- Populate Features to Remove with the names of the features from the previous version that you want to remove. (This is case sensitive and you cannot remove the Complete feature.)
- Leave the Action Property set to the default value.
- Mark Continue installation after a remove failure to continue the installation, even if it is unable to remove one or more features of the installed application.
- Mark Migrate feature states to retain the feature states of the installed application during the upgrade.
- Mark Do not uninstall previous version to keep the previous version of the application on the destination computer when the upgrade is installed. This lets the end user have two versions of the application installed.
- Click OK.
When an Upgrade is completed correctly, you will see only one entry in the Add or Remove Programs applet in Control Panel. The Upgrade will update old files to the most current version, as well as install the entire application if it is not already present on the machine.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO8547