What can be done when license counts have been exceeded in Patch Management Solution?
|Article:HOWTO8852|||||Created: 2008-04-21|||||Updated: 2012-11-08|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO8852|
What options are available to recover licenses for computers that are no longer being managed?
Contact sales to obtain additional licenses at no cost to cover retired computers or computers set to a status other than active. Note: The temp licenses will replace the old license file - they will not combine.
Retiring a machine, or running the uninstall policy for the Software Update Agent, will NOT refund the license.
To delete the retired computer from the Altiris Database:
- In the Altiris Console, click the Reports tab.
- In the left pane tree, click on Notification Server Infrastructure > Server > Resource Reports > All Assets.
- Altnernative: Resources Tab > Resource Management > Resources > Defaults > Computers
- Sort on the Status column by double-clicking the column heading.
- Right-click on a computer that has the status of Retired and click Delete. When the Delete Item box appears, click the OK button to delete the computer from the Altiris Database.
- Repeat step 4 until you have deleted the retired computers from the Altiris database. Be sure not to delete anything that may need to be archived, for the data will not repopulate from a retired machine.
There are SQL Scripts that can be ran against the Altiris Database to view the machines consuming licenses in Retired status. These scripts are outlined in KB TECH13965.Important: If you are using Asset Management Suite, do not delete retired computers from the Altiris Database. If you do, you will lose the information associated with the deleted retired computers from the Asset Management reports.
To verify that the licenses have been released:
- In the Altiris Console, click the Configuration tab.
- In the left pane, click Configuration > Licensing.
- In the right pane on the Licensing page, click the License Status tab and verify that the In Use value has decreased by the number of retired computers deleted from the Altiris Database. If the values have not changed, click the Refresh button near the bottom of the page.
Note: If AUP has expired contact your local sales representative to renew the AUP.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO8852