Hotfix 21: FSR from USB media
|Article:HOWTO8999|||||Created: 2008-06-03|||||Updated: 2008-06-03|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO8999|
|NOTE: If you are experiencing this particular known issue, we recommend that you Subscribe to receive email notification each time this article is updated. Subscribers will be the first to learn about any releases, status changes, workarounds or decisions made.|
Cannot perform FSR using USB thumb drive on certain computers. "Boot: Couldn't find NTLDR" or "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" errors may appear during MiniOS boot.
Recovery Solution 6.2.2760
All computers where USB is detected as a non-removable device.
USB thumb drive is detected as a non-removable drive, and MBR is written incorrectly to it instead of local HDD.
The hotfix comes in the form of DRWizard.exe, which is part of FSR Wizard ActiveX component and included in MMC.cab. The Hotfix can be applied the following way:
- Download the attached DRWizard.exe (the link is to the right of this article).
- Use "C:\Program Files\Altiris\Recovery Solution\Console\Tools\ASPack.exe" to update MMC.cab. The source package location is C:\Program Files\Altiris\Recovery Solution\Console\Tools\MMC.cab. The action is Modify package files.
- Click Start.
- Select and delete the existing DRWizard.exe from the package.
- Add the new DRWizard.exe using the Add file button and then click Next.
- The following message appears if a package has been successfully modified. Click Finish to complete package update.
- Delete the existing FSR Wizard ActiveX component on a client which runs FSR Wizard.
C:\>subst p: "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files"
- Delete all files from drive P to remove all ActiveX components, if required. Close all Internet Explorer windows in case of "Access denied" error and try again.
- Delete substituted P drive.
C:\subst P: /D
- Follow instructions in Recovery Solution Reference Guide to prepare USB media for Full System Recovery.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO8999