How can I automate the population of an Organizational Group using NS 7 (Symantec Management Platform 7)?
Below is an example of how to set up an automation policy to dynamically add resources to an Organizational Group
1.In the NS7 Console click on Manage and then choose Organizational Views and Groups
2.Right Click on the folder Organizational Views
3.Choose New -> Organizational View
4.In the right hand pane click on New Organizational View and rename the Organizational View to Subnet.
5.Right click on the Subnet Organizational View in the left hand pane
6.Choose New -> Organizational Group
7.In the right hand pane click on New Organizational Group and rename the Organizational Group to 172.xxx.xxx.xxx Group.
8.At the top of the NS7 Console click on Manage and then choose Automation Policies
9.On the Schedules tab, above the left pane, click on “New policy”.
10. Name the new policy Assign to 172.xxx.xxx.xxx Group and click OK
11. In the right hand pane set the schedule to anything you would like it to be
12. In the details section set the data source to be a Raw SQL query
13. Click on Save changes
14. Click on Edit query
15. Put a query that returns the resources you want to add to the organizational group into the Parameterized Query Pane.
16. Click OK
17. Leave the Evaluation Rule Condition to Run for non-empty data
18. Click on select a job or task
19. Click on the + in front of the folder System Jobs and Tasks
20. Click on the + in front of the folder Notification Server
21. Click on the + in front of the folder Automation Policy Tasks
22. Choose the Assign to Organizational Group Task
23. Click OK
24. Click on Edit input parameter
25. For Organizational Group select the 172.xxx.xxx.xxx Group in the Custom Value Dropdown
26. For Action click on Must at least contain
27. For Resource choose Results as CSV in the dropdown menu
28. Click OK
29. Click Save Changes button
30. Click Test Automation Policy
31. In the NS7 Console click on Manage and then choose Organizational Views and Groups
32. Click on 172.xxx.xxx group. You will see all of the resources that have been assigned to the group through the automation policy.
Note: There is an issue performing this with NS 7.1.Step 24 Edit the Input Parameter will fail with "Reference to page is not present, so cannot set original selection data to session state."
Add the following line under the <system.web> tag in the Altiris\Altiris NS Automation\web\web.config file. Make a copy of the web.config before you modify it.
<httpRuntime executionTimeout= "600 " maxRequestLength= "16000 "/>
Restart IIS after saving the web.config with the changes.