Using Rapid Release virus definitions to update Symantec AntiVirus 10.x or Symantec Client Security 3.x clients and servers
|Article:TECH101229|||||Created: 2005-01-18|||||Updated: 2010-01-15|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH101229|
You want to know how to use the latest Rapid Release virus definitions to update your Symantec AntiVirus 10.x or Symantec Client Security 3.x clients and servers.
Update the computer using the latest available Rapid Release virus definitions. Follow the directions that apply to the AntiVirus program version.
To download and apply Rapid Release virus definitions for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition
- Go to the Rapid Release folder on the Symantec FTP site.
- Click the .xdb file with the latest date, and select Save to disk. (The file name should be similar to vd1d2416.xdb.)
- If the .xdb file downloads with a .zip extension, remove the .zip extension by renaming the file.
- Copy the .xdb file to one of the following destinations, depending on the version of Symantec AntiVirus and the operating system:
- For NetWare servers, the default location is SYS:SAV.
- For Symantec AntiVirus 10.x servers on Windows operating systems, the default is C:\Program Files\SAV\.
- For Symantec Client Security 3.0 servers on Windows operating systems, the default is C:\Program Files\SAV\Symantec AntiVirus\.
- For clients, the default is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\.
The Application Data folder may be hidden. To show hidden and system folders, read the document How to make Windows show all files.
To automatically download Rapid Release virus definitions for Symantec AntiVirus, read the document Using a modified Cegetter utility for downloading Rapid Release virus definitions for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition.
About Rapid Release virus definitions
Several times a day, all new detections are compiled into a new Rapid Release virus definition set, which is then posted to the Symantec public FTP site. Rapid Release virus definitions are created whenever Symantec Security Response receives a new virus sample. The purpose of the Rapid Release virus definitions is to aid corporate customers in the event of a new virus infection. In a networked environment, it is possible for an undetected virus to spread quickly. Using Rapid Release virus definitions is a proactive effort to prevent the spreading of a new virus.
Rapid Release virus definitions have undergone basic quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response. The primary focus of these definitions is the rapid detection of newly emerging threats. The definitions may be augmented later with more robust detection capabilities. While Symantec Security Response makes every effort to make sure that all virus definitions function correctly, you should understand that Rapid Release-quality virus definitions do pose some risks, such as the higher potential for false positives. Rapid Release definitions are most useful for perimeter defenses or for all protection tiers as a means of mitigating fast spreading virus outbreaks.
Once a day (or as needed to respond to high level virus outbreaks), all new detections added as Rapid Release definitions go through the complete QA process, including testing for false positives and testing for all active Symantec products on all platforms. Once the Rapid Release definitions pass the full QA process, they are then posted as Intelligent Updater and LiveUpdate definitions.
Rapid Release URL:
"How to make Windows show all files." URL:
"Using a modified Cegetter utility for downloading Rapid Release virus definitions for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition." URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2004022511314548
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH101229