NetWare server no longer appears in Symantec System Center after upgrading to Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0
|Article:TECH101292|||||Created: 2005-01-13|||||Updated: 2010-08-13|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH101292|
You upgraded a NetWare server to Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0. The server no longer appears in Symantec System Center. If the server was a primary server, the server group no longer appears in Symantec System Center. The server does not appear after running the Discovery Service using the Find Computer feature. The Audit Network feature may find the NetWare server and show that Symantec AntiVirus is not installed.
Because this problem has a variety of causes, no one solution will work in every case. To fix the problem, try each of the following solutions in the order listed. After each solution, test your program to determine whether the problem is resolved.
To enable name resolution
- On the NetWare server, open the Hosts file.
The default location is SYS:ETC\hosts.
- In the Hosts file, under the last entry, type the IP address, FQDN, and computer name of the NetWare server if they are not present.
- On a new line, type the IP address, FQDN, and computer name of the primary server.
- On a new line, type the IP address, FQDN, and computer name of the computer than runs Symantec System Center.
Do not use tabs to format the Hosts file.
In the following example, the NetWare server has an IP address of 10.0.0.10, an FQDN of mynetware.test.com and a computer name of mynetware.
10.0.0.10 mynetware.test.com mynetware
10.0.0.11 savserver.test.com savserver
10.0.0.12 ssccomp.test.com sscomp
- On the File menu, click Save, and then close the Hosts file.
- Remove and reinstall Symantec AntiVirus.
To verify that Symantec AntiVirus NLMs are loaded
- At the NetWare Console, type MONITOR
- Press Enter.
- Select Loaded Modules, and then press Enter.
- If you do not see Rtvscan.nlm or Pds.nlm, press Alt+F10 at the Symantec AntiVirus Console to unload Symantec AntiVirus.
- At the NetWare Console type LOAD VPSTART
- Press Enter.
- Type MONITOR
- Press Enter.
- Select Loaded Modules and press Enter.
- If you do not see Rtvscan.nlm or Pds.nlm, remove Symantec AntiVirus and AMS, and then install Symantec AntiVirus again.
For help with this, see the "To remove and reinstall Symantec AntiVirus" section of this document.
To remove and reinstall Symantec AntiVirus
- Follow the directions in the document Manually uninstalling Symantec AntiVirus 10.x server and AMS from NetWare.
- Restart the computer.
- Unload the following NLMs if they are present:
- Aio.nlm (PowerChute Battery Backup)
- Ofa.nlm (Open File Agent)
- Ofm.nlm (Open File Manager)
- Install Symantec AntiVirus into NDS.
For help with this step, read How to "walk the tree" when installing Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition to NetWare servers.
- If you unloaded Aio.nlm, Ofa.nlm, and Ofm.nlm in step 3, load them.
If the problem persists, install Symantec AntiVirus into a new server group. When the installation is complete, you can move the server into a new server group.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH101292