Error: "An error occurred while trying to access the database" while installing Reporting Server
|Article:TECH101736|||||Created: 2006-01-10|||||Updated: 2009-01-15|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH101736|
You install Reporting Server on Microsoft SQL Server. After you give the SQL administrator user ID ("sa" by default) and password, the installation fails with the following error message: "An error occurred while trying to access the database."
The ReportingServerInstall.log file contains the following result: "No Error Info posted; HResult 0x80004005"
Before you begin: If this problem happens when SQL Server is installed on a different computer, first try the solution in the following document:
Error "An error occurred while trying to access the database." while installing Reporting Server with SQL installed on another computer
This problem can happen if the SQL server is not configured to use mixed-mode authentication.
To set the SQL server to use mixed-mode authentication
- On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server > Enterprise Manager.
- In the left pane, right-click the server, and then click Properties.
- On the Security tab, under Authentication, click SQL Server and Windows, and then click OK.
- In the left pane, go to Security/Logins.
- Double-click the "sa" account, or whichever account you used when you installed Reporting Server.
- Type the account password, click OK, then type the password again for verification.
- Restart the SQL Server service.
If you select SQL Server and Windows for authentication but you do not confirm the password, the installation may still fail. This failure causes the following message to appear in the ReportingServerInstall.log file:
"No Error Info posted; HResult: 0x80040e4d"
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH101736