How to change the IP address of a Symantec AntiVirus (SAV) parent server
|Article:TECH101812|||||Created: 2006-01-27|||||Updated: 2007-01-07|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH101812|
What is the best practice to change the SAV Parent IP address?
To minimize a window of time when clients and their parent server may fail to communicate because the parent server has had a change in ip address (and possibly physical location, domain name, but not hostname), take the following steps:
- 1. Change the IP address of the parent server.
2. Update DNS accordingly so that the name and IP address resolve correctly to each other.
3. Restart the SAV service on the parent server. This will acquaint the Symantec AntiVirus parent server with its new IP address.
4. In any Symantec System Center used to administer the server group that contains the parent server, rebuild the cached information regarding SAV servers by choosing Tools | Discovery Service... | Clear Cache Now. This will avoid delayed responses when configuring a server group with that particular parent server in it.
5. In the Symantec System Center, right-click on the server group that the parent server is a member of and choose All Tasks | Symantec AntiVirus | Client Auto-Protect Options | Reset All. Choose Reset All in the second window. This will rebuild the file that is given to clients to update their configuration information.
By default clients and server should communicate with the parent server within a period of one hour. The new IP address information will be corrected accordingly.
Other servers that may communicate with the parent server in question will automatically update their information regarding the IP address.
To troubleshoot communications issues that may stem from changing the ip address of a parent server reference this document: Clients no longer communicate when the IP address for the Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition parent server changes
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH101812